Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

It's All in How You Look at It

This weekend, despite my personal rule against decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving, we broke out the decorations and began transforming the house into a Christmas wonderland.

As I said yesterday on Facebook, just about the time I was turning into Scrooge, bah- humbugging about broken ornaments and tangled garland, Emily goes all Tiny Tim on me and says so innocently, "Oh, Mommy! The house looks so pretty!"

And, just like that, it was like I had been visited by the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.

I remembered how much I have always loved Christmas decorations, which might explain why we have 4 trees. Don't ask.

I realized how much fun we were having despite the fact that my last two strands of lights were blown. I loved hearing them talking about the ornaments, following my lead about spacing them out, and exclaiming how much Santa was going to love the tree.

I considered how the years will change our traditions, and how one day, I'll be begging them to come home and help me with the tree.

Yes, it was one of those moments that snapped me back to reality...

Because despite the moments of frustration, these are beautiful days, filled with all those little moments that I just want to put in a bottle and keep.

I guess it's all in how you look at it.

***

One of the final pieces of our Christmas decor to go up is the set of Christmas Minnie and Mickey. If left to my own decorating vices, I'd put them together, side by side, like this:

And, so I did.

Shortly thereafter, Emily came down and yelled, "Why did you put Minnie there?? She goes under my name. Mickey should go under Andrew's!"

She moved each under their respective initial.

I couldn't argue with her reasoning...

I guess it's all in how you look at it.

Then, I came downstairs this morning to find Mickey moved.

Hmmm...

That's when Marty informed me that Drew decided Mickey had to move.

Why?

According to Drew, Mickey was in the way.

"Santa Claus will knock him down when he comes down the chimney! He's big. Mickey's in the way."

I couldn't argue with his logic...

I guess it's all in how you look at it.


1 comment:

Rory Bore said...

Ha. I can't say I could argue against either of their logic.

My husband already had his office Christmas party this weekend. It felt too early -- and I think others shared that sentiment because hardly anybody came.

I put out some candles and my wooden reindeer outside, just to help myself feel somewhat in the festive mood.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...