Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sunny with a strong chance of change

Summer in North Carolina this year has been uncharacteristically wet.

We've often joked that purchasing the Ark play set in June for the Babies' birthday was a smart move since we might need to use it to escape the rising flood waters.

Perhaps it is this extreme weather that has Emily and Drew so tuned in lately to the weather.

Mommy, can we play outside if it's not raining?

Mommy, do you have an umbrella?

Mommy, was that lightening?


As we hunkered down in the bed last night, listening to the boom of the thunder, we talked of the rain, the thunder, and the darkness of the night.

Emily, assuming that mothering role she loves so well, snuggled up to him and said, "Don't worry, Andrew. Tomorrow there will be a new sky."

Don't you love the profound, innocent wisdom of children?

And, guess what? Today, there was a new sky. Granted, it was pretty clouded, but it was new.

As I looked up at the clouds this morning, I thought about how life is like the weather, especially life today.

If we're friends on Facebook, you might have picked up on some changes I had been forecasting but couldn't quite broadcast.

Today, I can say somewhat more officially that the forecast for Melissa is "Sunny with a strong chance of change."

Today officially began my two- week notice at work.

On August 8, I will wake up to a new sky and will begin a new job.

This is a big move. I've been in my current job for 6 years--longer than any other position I've been in before.

I've learned so much, met so many wonderful people along the way, and endured many seasons of changing weather.

But, the time has come to make a change.

While the work will be similar, the faces will be new, the daily routine different, and the drive much shorter.

It's scary. It's exciting. It's a little cloudy and a lot sunny.

It's a new sky, for sure.

I'm not too worried, though.

As we drove to school this morning, under cloudy skies, I decided to brighten the mood by singing, "You Are My Sunshine." As I wrapped up the last verse with a loud, dramatic, "Please don't take my sunshine away!" Emily said, reassuringly, "Don't worry, Mama. Nobody's going to get your sunshine. I've locked it away and hid it!"

Watch out, world!

Nobody steals Mama's sunshine!


3 comments:

Kelly said...

This summer has been full of rain and clouds and definitely makes it challenging to entertain toddlers.
I love hearing what Emily and Drew say. Toddlers say the funniest things!

Good luck with your new job!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Love this post! Written so poignantly. Good luck to the new changes in your life. Change is anxiety inducing, but yet so good for us usually.

Erin said...

I got little goosebumps reading your forecast. I know it will be a great change for you and, truth be told, I'm a little jealous. I've been working (essentially) the same job for over 17 years now and I've lately been getting the itch myself. I'm constantly weighing the benefits to the challenges and have chosen not to choose...for now. Good luck as I live a little vicariously through you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...