Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sense of Time

A few Sundays ago, during a particularly "relevant" sermon, Marty leaned over to me and whispered, "Is Preacher James spying on us?"

Nodding, I agreed the "example" sounded eerily familiar.

At the same time, I found it strangely comforting that apparently other couples have similar issues. Perhaps we are more normal than we think...

A few days later, I had this same feeling as I read one of those Baby Center "Your Preschooler at the Age" emails. (BTW, I still can't believe they consider my Babies preschoolers)!

The topic was "Sense of Time," and as I read, I found myself thinking...

Is Baby Center spying on my kids? The timing of this email is crazy. I was just thinking today about how Emily and Andrew are starting to notice time and use words to indicate time. These Baby Center people are...

Then, I realized, as exceedingly gifted and charming as my Babies are, in some ways, they are still just normal 31 month olds.

And, that was comforting.

According to the experts at Baby Center, Emily and Andrew are developing a sense of time.

He can't read a watch yet, but your preschooler does have a rudimentary sense of time. He knows that yesterday means the past and tomorrow means the future, but to him, yesterday might refer to something that happened earlier this morning or last week.

The way your child marks time is largely through the predictable way his day unfolds. That's another reason (in addition to providing basic security) that routines continue to be so important. He knows that when you go into the kitchen it's almost time for lunch, and that after lunch he'll be at the playground and then take a nap.

Use references to time in your conversation: "In five minutes, we'll leave." "We'll go to the store right after lunch." "After two more bedtimes, we'll leave for our trip." Although your preschooler won't exactly understand these time frames the same way you do — that ability doesn't come until second or third grade —you'll be helping him get used to the concepts.
Source

It's been fun watching Emily and Andrew develop this sense of time.

Marty recently promised Drew he would take him the bounce house after school. When Marty arrived after school, guess what Drew said? Yep. "Daddy, it's after school. I wanna go to the bounce house!"

Or Emily, angling for M&Ms..."But, Mommy. I peed in the potty yesterday."

Most of the time, though, she uses the phrase, "last day," as in "When we went to Granny and Papa's last day."

Last day. I love it. It works--either to mean the last time we did something or to mean literally the last day before today--yesterday.

We also hear a lot of "not quite yet," like when we say it's time for bed and they scream, "Not quite yet!"

And, so, while I know on one level that all of this time talk is completely normal (thanks, Baby Center), on a proud mama level, I am completely fascinated by watching them learn in their own unique ways.




5 comments:

Tasha said...

31 months?! I love this age and all the amazing learning that goes on in those little minds.
"And all the days that came and went I did not realize it was life itself."
ENJOY. EVERY. MINUTE.
It goes so fast!

Susi K (BocaFrau) said...

My little one says "last year" or "next year" a lot and she uses it accordingly for past or future just instead of day, week, month she says year! :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I have felt as if they've been directed my way sometimes too, but that's good!

I love those little twists on proper wording. So cute!

Brad Jenkins said...

So true! Our girls know we go to church on Sundays, so when we went on Saturday for something else, they told us it wasn't Sunday.

Tami said...

It's fun to watch little ones learn new concepts. Love your post! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...