Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

MRSA me!

Let me start by saying thank you to all of you who have asked about Emily and her poor chin.

It has been quite an ordeal.

We started last week still wearing the band-aids, but according to Marty (I was too chicken to check), the chin appeared to be healing nicely.

Tuesday morning, as we cleaned The Wound and opened our third box of band-aids, we noticed that while the chin itself was looking better, now Emily had developed a pretty nasty little rash on her face and her chest.

At first we thought it was just a reaction to something she had eaten at breakfast. She has really sensitive skin so maybe it was just the juice from the orange irritating her or maybe it was from the milk she had spilled down her chin.

She acted fine, so we dabbed a little hydrocortisone on the worst spots and sent her off to school.

Around 10:00 am I got a call from the director of the school. Emily's teacher was concerned because the rash seemed to be getting redder, spreading, with white spots forming on some of the bumps. She offered to send me a picture so I could make the call on whether or not to take her to the pediatrician.

If you know me, you know I didn't need to see the picture to decide to take her in. If there's a chance something could be wrong...

But, I was calm, especially calm given the fact that I was out of town for work and well over an hour away from my baby.

I called Marty and together we got the appointment scheduled and pick-up arranged.

While on my way home, he called me to say he wanted to be at the appointment with me--that he had some questions for the doctor.

Why the sudden interest? It's just a rash. Right?

"Well. It's probably nothing, but I want to ask the doctor to check for a few things."

Like...? You don't think this rash has to do with her cut, do you?

"Well. I don't like the way it's spreading. I don't like the way the rash is starting to get those white things on it."

So what do you think it is?

"It's probably nothing."

Probably?

"I just want her to check for....MRSA."

What???

"Calm down. It's very treatable. You just have to know what you are dealing with. I've been working on a MRSA study at work and..."

He lost me at MRSA.

I held the panic in, my fingers itching to google this contagion...

For the remainder of the 45 minute ride to the school, I clicked through pictures of all kinds of gross.

I envisioned quarantine, masks, gloves, IV antibiotics, potential scars from pustules and boils. Oh, my sweet baby with her sweet baby skin!

I was not thinking impetigo--

Which was exactly what Emily had.

Impetigo:
"a highly contagious skin infection that mainly affects infants and children. Impetigo usually appears as red sores on the face, especially around a child's nose and mouth. Although it commonly occurs when bacteria enter the skin through cuts or insect bites, it can also develop in skin that's perfectly healthy." (from the Mayo Clinic)

Turns out, I could cancel the impeding medical drama I had created in my head. A course of antibiotics and 24 hours at home and Emily would be fine to go back into the general population.

Now whether Mommy is fit for release is another story all together...


9 comments:

Jill Jankoski said...

I just love your honesty and humor! Thank you!!

Jill Jankoski said...

I just love your honesty and humor! Thank you!!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

You are clearly a fellow sister of mine in the tragedy rehearsal club. I am The Master!

So glad it wasn't anything worse...and that Miss Emily is doing better!

Hang in there, Mama. I tell myself, If I didn't worry, then who would??? ;) It's a big job, and somebody's got to do it! HA!

Tasha said...

I am so sorry I missed the chin accident!!! And happy to hear all things are getting better. Chill out Momma, it only gets worse as they get older. We are due for an ER visit this summer so I say chill out, but we'll see how I react.

yetunde said...

Hope Emily gets over this hump pretty quick as well

Your post was beginning to read like a suspense novel - I had already gone thorough possible diagnosis of chicken pox before I got to the end.

Kerry said...

I am so happy to hear that Emily will be just fine and that what she has is treatable and common. Why do we google everything lol we know we shouldn't!!
Hope she is 100% in no time xoxo

Awn said...

I'm so glad it wasn't MRSA! Of course it's treatable but impetigo is so much easier to deal with. From working in the hospital setting, everytime I have a scratch or cut I worry a little until it heals up!

Now get back out there in the world!

Jen Forbes said...

Don't even get me started on MRSA, that is a nightmare. I'm sorry it's anything but if it has to be something what she has is preferable. Hope she's better soon :)

Tami said...

A staff infection would not have occurred to me. I am certainly glad it turned out to be something else! Not that I WANT her to have impetigo. Oh! You know what I mean!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...