Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Summer Dreaming

January in North Carolina is generally one of my least favorite months of the year (and not just because all those Christmas decorations have to be taken down).

Statistically speaking, January is our coldest month. With an average high of just 51 degrees, it's usually just cold enough to produce a chilly, annoying rain, but not cold enough to give us a real snowfall. If it's going to be cold and wet, could we at least get a little snow??

As someone who prefers flip flops to boots, sunshine to frost, green to gray, I say, "Enough already! Bring on summer!"

One upside to winter in North Carolina is its fickleness.

Don't like the weather?

Wait a day or so and it's sure to change.

Last week I was late for work because I had to wait for the frost to melt off my windshield; this weekend we were sitting on the beach with our toes in the sand, soaking in 70+ degree weather.




Just as Drew stared longingly at his dream boat waiting just off in the distance, this weekend left me staring longingly at the calendar, dreaming of the warm days of summer.


Until then, looks like I'll need to keep my jacket and boots out a little longer...








9 comments:

Susi K said...

Wow. I don't envy you. I would love to have a little cooler weather here but I take the heat over the 50's any day!!! Hope it warm up soon.

Rory Bore said...

I got snow, rain, and fog!
It's like Canadian weather has developed a split personality! The kids tried to go outside, but they were wet and then cold within 20 minutes. not fun.

Kelly said...

Lucky! I wanted to go to the beach this weekend too, but the hubs had to work. Glad you got a nice weekend in before the cold and rain come back!

Carolina said...

I also think that if it's going to be miserably cold (like here in UT where it is 5 degrees currently), it might as well snow, but once Christmas comes and goes, enough already!

Tasha said...

We are so much alike about weather...spring and summer anyday. ANd our weather has been about the same.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What an awesome get-away!!! We had really warm weather here this weekend, too...until yesterday afternoon, that is. I don't usually mind the cold that much...but 36 degrees at 5pm feels quite chilly in comparison to 70 degrees, only 24 hours prior! ;)

Colleen said...

wow, that's quite the range of weather!!! ha! I would love some 70 degree days right about now.

Tami said...

You southerners have it SO easy! ;-)
Come visit me and I will show you a cold day! Better yet, keep going north! Friends in Canada can show you a bitterly frigid day.

As far as the warm days you have… I am SO VERY JEALOUS!

Kerry said...

I love the picture of Drew looking through the jetty to the water :)
I have the summer you are longing for right now...if you get it then it means it is cold for me :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...