Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mommy in the City

I often tell people that my love of travel is a side effect of growing up, going to college, and now living in relatively the same place all my life.

I am always up for a trip--big or small, near or far.

The only thing better than traveling to me is traveling with friends and family who love new experiences as much as I do. Even if I've been somewhere before, there's nothing quite experiencing it all over again with someone else for the first time.

In 2001, I visited New York City for the first time with a group of women from work. We had planned an early September trip, which obviously had to be rescheduled for more pressing reasons.

When we finally arrived, it was early November, and the nation was still reeling from the 9/11 attacks. The World Trade Center still smoldered. Anthrax scares threatened to shut down subways. Nerves were still on edge. But the city persevered.

Although the displays weren't quite ready to be revealed, preparations were underway for Christmas. We did the obligatory sightseeing. We shopped-- a lot. I am sure we ate but nothing stands out as memorable. Did I mention we shopped?

While we accomplished quite a bit during our three days, there was so much we didn't do; most obviously, even though we stayed in Times Square, we didn't see a Broadway show.

I decided after that trip that one day I would go back, and this time, it would be with two people I knew would enjoy the energy as much as me: my mom and sister. As long as I was dreaming, I'd dream big--make it NYC at Christmas with tickets to Wicked.

Eleven years later, we are going to NYC at Christmas! And we have Wicked tickets!
Image Credit

This time tomorrow, we'll be landing and preparing to embark on our big adventure.

We're a group of four women with varied experiences. For example, my sister will be visiting for the first time while my mom went many years ago. My friend Austin, a theater buff, has been several times, most recently last Christmas. While we've got a full three days planned, but we are open for suggestions, too.

What are your suggestions for
must-do, must-see, must-eat places
in NYC?

8 comments:

Colleen said...

have a wonderful time!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I am so excited for you!!!!!

As one of our Advent activities, I let the girls watch (on DVR) the lighting of the Rockefeller Center tree.

I LOVE NYC! Hoping to make our first family trip next summer. :) :)

Have a FANTASTIC TIME!!!!!!!!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Oh, and must-see for me? My favorite things are Central Park (maybe brunch at the Boat House...so picturesque!)...Top of the Rock (I'd pick that 100 times over versus Empire State)...walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, then eat at Grimaldi's Pizza -- it's worth the wait, and then have ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Creamery (don't think that's the exact name, but it faces the East River). Little Italy for supper one night. And if you've never done a harbor tour, it's an awesome way to get a sense for the layout of Manhattan, and you get super close to the Statue of Liberty.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

Caroline said...

I love NYC so much! I love going to the Empire State Building and Central Park. Have fun and enjoy!

RoryBore said...

LOVE NYC!!!
oh my gosh...I so want to go - haven't been back in over 10 years.

I love shopping the markets when tired of the bigger stores.

But it is definitely the place to see a live show. I've seen several on Broadway and there is nothing like it.
I have no idea if the places I went to are still around.... but if you are in the theatre district you go to go to Patsy's Italian Restaurant. (celebrity sighting not guaranteed, although quite likely. and if it should be Keanu Reeves or Stephen King - please get picture! haha)

other than that, I will always hit a hot dog and giant pretzel vendor first! LOL

Have fun!!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Have a FANTASTIC TIME. How lovely!

Jen Forbes said...

Hope you have a super great time. I'm giving you a link to one of my favorite Italian places so if you have a chance and you'd like to check it out you can.

http://uvanyc.com/index.html

Beth said...

I'm so excited for you!!

I want to see tons of pictures and hear all the details!

Enjoy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...