Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

I ♥ Pics

#3 Today I am thankful for: pictures and the memories they capture. (And for old friends and college football games even when your team loses).


Just this week one of my dear friends (who also happens to be our family photographer) posted an emotional story about a man who recently lost his wife in an accident. Amid his suffering, he found consolation in the pictures he and his wife had taken just days before her untimely passing. He reminds us all of the importance of capturing our precious memories in through photographs when he writes, "They [the photographs] are truly the most valued remembrances of our relationship that I possess."

When I flip through my memories and my photo files, I find myself drawn to some of the most valued remembrances of my life so vividly captured in an image.

My wedding day:

The first picture of my babies:

My favorite picture ever:
Photography by Lifelong Impressions


Or this favorite:
Photography by Lifelong Impressions


And then there are the other everyday images capturing the miracles of daily life.

Like this one of Em and Drew in their Halloween costumes this week:

Or this one I snapped of Marty while he changed my tire Friday morning:
Yes, those are bedroom slippers. And, yes, he was pissed I took this picture and posted it on Facebook. Shhh...don't tell him I posted it here, too.


Quick on the click, I snagged this shot of Drew as he moved the table to complete "Operation Get-the-Candy-off-the-top-of-Fridge."

Today, Marty and I did something we rarely do: we stopped a stranger and asked her to take our picture at the football game.

"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything."
-Aaron Siskind

If you have followed my blog for any length of time, you know I have absolutely no photography skills. It's not for want of trying.

However, I don't let my lack of skill stop me as evidenced by all of the i-phone pictures and "not following the Rule of Thirds" shots.

In much the same way as the Internet transformed this non-cook into a partial cook, the WWW has also helped pretty up my photographs a little, too.

I was one of the disheartened amateurs who grieved the passing of Picnik. If it says anything about the quality of that product, I loved that it so much I was willing to pay for the premium subscription.

After its demise in April, I wondered lost, looking for a new wrinkle eraser exposure corrector.

That's when I found PicMonkey.

PicMonkey is a FREE photo editor service that allows users to access services with NO registration.

With PicMonkey, you can edit photographs and create collages. They also offer special seasonal edit features, like Halloween add-ons and special effects.

PicMonkey makes it easy to create a Facebook cover image. Here's one I created in 30 seconds.

I also made our Halloween collage using PicMonkey.

Just for fun, I played around with some of the photo editing features tonight (not that I ever use them on any photos I post on this blog).

Consider these "before" and "after" images like one of those "Can You Spot the Differences" games, except you are trying to figure out the edits.


After a glass (or two) of Merlot tonight, I decided to give the Halloween special features a try.

Oh, in case you're wondering, I don't work for PicMonkey and I am not getting compensated in any way for this post. I am just a happy mama user who is happy to share a quality product with other mamas!
Manic Mother










12 comments:

Samantha said...

I use pic monkey now too! Great pics.

Lisa Buben said...

I love the pics - especially of him changing the tires with slippers. It shows the "real" side of life. Not just the picture perfect moments. I've heard great things about picmonkey. I've a photoshop person myself but for those that don't have it, it is a great tool. I've heard it from others who just love it.

jandi said...

Life is so short & fragile-mi try to take photos often. Love picmonkey too

Leigh Powell Hines said...

You are so correct about photos. You're going to laugh, I've 1600 photos on mt phone that I need to get off my phone. Great post.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

You are so right! Photos are such a wonderful thing! It can seem so tedious sometimes to keep up with monthly picture downloads and editing, but I'm so thankful I have such a record to date of our precious girls.

And I was just reminded how I need to make sure I get in pictures with my girls. I had been doing a really good job, but I realized I'd fallen off over the past few months. I want my girls to look back one day and see their mommy the way I often am, piled up with them on the couch, or crawling around on the floor. It's hard...because of course I want to look "presentable" in my pictures...but sometimes it's OK to just turn the camera over, even in my pj's and morning hair. :)

P.S. LOVE that pic of Marty!!! Bless his soul for coming to your rescue!

Julia said...

Oh, thank you for posting this!!! I hadn't found anything since Picnik---wahoo!

I do love pictures. I love how, because I know my babies, or my husband a picture means just THAT much more to me, regardless of quality.

I am on my way to check out PicMonkey right now!! Thanks again, Melissa!

RoryBore said...

I have Photoshop because it came loaded on my laptop...otherwise I would not have paid the almost $100. Picasa is on my computer, but it can only do so much. But PicMonkey - I LOVE. I did my halloween picture there too.

lovely pictures. I sometimes wish most of our pics were not digital so that I could look through actual photo albums. We never print them off any more. shameful

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

You'll have to stop more often and get your picture taken. This was sweet (well, maybe a bit creepy with the zombie effects, lol)

Colleen said...

this was great. what would we do without pictures of all our memories?? love that pic of the babies sleeping together.

Colleen said...

this was great. what would we do without pictures of all our memories?? love that pic of the babies sleeping together.

Tami said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friends wife passing. It is very true about pictures. They are an everlasting memory to those who can no longer be with us.

Kelly said...

Going to get PicMonkey! I need to spice things up a little!
Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...