Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Almost isn't good enough

#17 Today I am thankful for: a new day (and for coincidences, birthday parties, and girls' nights in).


I struggled to identify what exactly I am most thankful for today.

I could have said:

  • I am thankful for access to quality healthcare that allows me to have 3 different physicals in one week.
  • I am thankful for my tendency to be a bit of a hypochondriac, which means I rarely miss routine appointments.
  • I am thankful for an "almost- clean" bill of health.

    In truth, I am thankful for all of those things, but I am most thankful today for the blessing of a new day, a new day that gives me the opportunity to change some of my lifestyle choices that are impacting my health.

    The good news from all of my test results this week is that I am generally well with no (immediately) life-threatening conditions identified.

    The bad new from all my test results this week is that if I continue on this same trajectory, there could be some scary stuff in my future: diabetes, heart disease, cancers...
    Image Credit

    I left the doctor's office with a choice.

    Since I am not in the "let's medicate right now" category, I could choose to just to keep kicking the can down the same road until next year. I could blame bad genes. I could rationalize that the results weren't that bad. I could keep nibbling around the edges of good health, only making the changes that were most comfortable.

    Or

    I could decide to make real changes now.

    Some of you may remember that I used to be a smoker. I often tell people who are trying to quit that the only way you can really quit is to identify something you want more than a cigarette.

    For me, it was easy once I set my mind of the goal--getting pregnant and having children.

    As I pulled out of the doctor's office Friday, I realized the same mind trick was needed here.

    What do I want more than eating carbs/sweets and sitting on my butt?

    I want to see my children grow up.
    Image Credit

    My doctor suggested a website and app called My Fitness Pal. I've joined and entered my information. I've logged my meals for this weekend. So far, so good.

    This afternoon, I am going to put on those running shoes that have barely been used for running, and get out and walk.

    Tomorrow, I am calling my insurance company to find out how many nutritional consults visits I am allowed along with any other preventative services they offer.

    Next month, I hope to be five pounds lighter.

    Six months from now, I plan to have normal cholesterol and blood sugar.

    One year from now, I will be back at my ideal weight.

    and

    Twenty years from now?

    I hope to be in just as good of shape as my 22 year olds!

    If you're interested in joining me, the My Fitness Pal app allows you to join up with friends. Come on over! I could use some accountability pals as I go through Starbucks' blueberry muffin detox...




  • 8 comments:

    MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

    Melissa...congratulations on making that choice! I am so proud of you, and I will be cheering you on, every step.

    You may know that my mom died when I was 22. She smoked all her life, and it's ultimately what took her from us.

    I don't dwell on this...because I think addiction is an illness in itself...and truly it does me no good to think these thoughts (at least very often)...but I know -- without a doubt -- that my mom loved me more than life itself. But. She couldn't / wouldn't make the decision to choose me and my dad over a damn cigarette. I can only imagine that, in her mind, "it wouldn't happen to her". She wouldn't really die from emphysema. She could continue to smoke and live a long, healthy life.

    I don't have any really nasty habits, but I do think about that when I make myself go for annual exams...when I do my best to listen to my body and have something checked "just in case". I want to do everything I can do to make sure I see my girls grow up...that I am there for them when they have their children...and that I see my grandchildren grow up.

    I know crazy things can happen, even in the best of circumstances, but I hope my girls never look back and say, "I wish my mom had been thinking of me."

    [I hope you don't mind I kind of hijacked your post here...I say all this to say, again, I am really proud of you for thinking about your health this way. Think of yourself, and think of those sweet babies!!!]

    Hugs to you!!!

    Samantha said...

    Good for you, girl! You made me want to go out running today too.

    Colleen said...

    Good for you - I hope it is going well. I haven't been exercising in a very long time and then I put that couch to 5k app on my phone. We have a treadmill and I started that 8 weeks ago. I have kept with it and as you might remember I am running my first 5k on Thursday. I'm nervous as heck!! I try to get up at least two mornings before work and then do another day on the weekend. I really have kept with it unlike anything else I was doing.

    Oh, and I have high cholesterol and my mom had a heart attack at 46 so unfortunately genes are not helping things.

    undomestic mama said...

    Good for you! I'm trying so hard to lose the last of my baby weight and get back to normal and be healthier - it's hard! I rarely come in under my calorie goal on MFP.

    Olusola said...

    I need to join you but I'm scared to commit because I've always fallen off the wagon when it comes to exercise. But I need to do this To paraphrase my acupunturist; "you look good on the outside but you insides are all messed up". I'll start with downloading the app and see. I actually got gym forms 3 weeks ago but that's all I've done so far

    Kerry said...

    Hehehe Blueberry muffin detox lol
    I love this post, you are so honest and have made me think now...I too am really good at sitting on my butt and eating carbs and sweets, not so great with self discipline though. I wish you well Melissa and maybe I will join you, after our trip of course ;)

    exal said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    exal said...

    Wow!! What a great writing, really I appreciate such kind of topics. It will be very helpful for us. Waiting for more articles, blogs like this.

    Wayne Elsey Enterprises

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...