Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Not So Sharp(ie)

I'm contemplating renaming this blog.

MaMe Musings is a bit of a misnomer these days.

After the adventures of the last couple of weeks, MaMe Messes would be a more appropriate choice.

Consider yesterday's mess--Drew's nap time clothes reorganization project. (For the record, I should be clear: this was a one-twin operation. A thorough internal investigation revealed that Drew operated alone. Emily was asleep in the other room when the disassembly occurred. (She only joined in for the after-party which took place as mommy went for the camera).

Emily, was, however, totally responsible for this "mess" last weekend.

This little art project occurred as mommy and daddy were preoccupied with getting everything packed up and ready for date night. Somewhere, in some long-forgotten drawer, crevice, or couch cushion, Emily located one of the worst weapons known to mom kind : a black Sharpie marker.

Panicked and with no time to spare before dropping the mess-makers kids off at my parents' house, I turned to one of the most accurate and reliable sources of information for a solution to this dilemma: Facebook.

Any ideas on the best way to remove Sharpie marker from skin?

In addition to some "laughing with us, not at us" comments, we also received some suggestions:
  • rubbing alcohol
  • baby wipes
  • Clorox wipes
  • Goo-Be-Gone
  • dishwasher liquid
  • Magic Eraser
  • hair spray
  • nail polish remover
  • TIME

  • and even

    • a belt sander (Thanks, Uncle Jeffy.)

    Perhaps this comment was most helpful: "Let the babysitter figure it out!"

    And figure it out Granny did.

    According to my mom, the marker came off pretty easily with warm, soapy water (and Granny's special touch, of course).

    At this point you're probably thinking I scoured the house and destroyed all Sharpie markers. I thought I did. But there was that one lone black Sharpie that we used for pumpkin decorating...

    And, it was that lone, forgotten Sharpie that Drew used to create another "mess" yesterday: a lovely abstract drawing on my white, wooden dining room table.



    No, there are no pictures of the actual work. I was too busy having a mental breakdown at this point. I can say that the following will not take Sharpie off of wood:
  • alcohol (rubbing or otherwise)
  • dish washing liquid (or handwringing)
  • tears, screams, and chair throwing


  • Here's what did work.

    I bought a double pack.

    Just in case.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

lol, ok at first I cringed when I saw your title!! Emily's face is priceless in the picture! the magic eraser is a staple in this house. looks like you need to stock up : )

Tami said...

I was going to recommend Magic Eraser, but you beat me to it. On the kids I use baby wipes. It's not 100%, but it's better than before. I lock up the sharpies, paint and other 'destructive' supplies that attract curious toddlers.

Awn said...

I never used the Sharpie as a kiddo but when my best friend and I were 3 or 4 we found a bottle of baby powder. We proceeded to have a baby powder parade up and down the blue carpeted hallway and all over my linoleum floored room. We looked like two little ghosts when she found us.

According to my mom baby powder is impossible to clean up. It just moves along the floor but doesn't actually sweep up or vacuum all that well. I wonder what a Magic Eraser wuld make of that?

Beth said...

Oh no, not the Sharpie!!!

Good job going with the double pack of Magic Erasers. You may want to keep one or two on hand for the next couple of years...

Tasha said...

NO!!!!! Her little face is precious! And sad :(
LOVE the Magic Erasers!! Brant just discovered them too and I actually head him say, "I will endorse these".

Shell said...

Those magic erasers really are magic. Just wishing I could use them on my kids.

Suzanne said...

I also cringed when I saw the title. Glad the damage was minimal! Those darn Sharpies. They get 'cha every time!

Jen Forbes said...

I love the expression on Emily's face. It really is priceless.

My granddaughter did the red marker covering both her hands thing once.

We used some oxy-clean on a paper towel and it came right off, used soap & water after. Don't think it was a Sharpie however :) but it worked like a charm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...