Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

It's All güd

Once upon a time in a land before the Babies, I was blissfully unaware of the ugly boogie monsters that lurked in the most unlikely places: my health and beauty products.

As long as it smelled good and looked good, I slathered and lathered.

Then, I became pregnant and paranoid.

Then, like a wrinkle that abruptly appears, never to be ignored again, I discovered sulfates, parabens, phthalates,and petrochemicals.

(See worry #95 here).

And just like that, the fruit in my fragrances soured, the bubbles in my bath evaporated, and shine in my bronzer faded.

You can learn more about these ugly additives here, but, in short, these invisible boogie monsters do things like make products foamy, smooth, fragrant, and long-lasting.

But, it is also possible that they are they involved in more sinister activities like endocrine system disruptions, breast cancer, obsesity, fertility problems, and skin irritation.

Not willing to take unnecessary chances over something I could fairly easily control, I ditched most of the baby lotions and opted for other "cleaner" cleansers.

Although we have tried several different brands, one of our favorites is Burt's Bees.
Image Credit


While I found it fairly easy to be diligent about what I was using on Emily and Drew, my personal switchover wasn't as quick or simple (or cheap).

I started by cutting back on the number of beauty products I used (which wasn't all that hard considering I had less time/energy/motivation to shower and primp in those early days with twins).

As I ran out of make-up (which also took a while since I was wearing less make-up those days, too), I began replacing pieces with make-up with fewer additives. Currently, I am using Bare Minerals, and I can honestly say I don't miss my old stuff.

I've tried several different "boogie monster-free" shampoos, and the verdict is still out there for me. I haven't found any that this mama loves, but I have found a couple that get the job done. If you have a shampoo recommendation, I'd love to hear it!

I do, however, have a Mama Loves when it comes to a smell-good, all-good body wash for mamas: güd by Burt's Bees.
Image Credit

Like Burt's Bees for Babies, güd is all-natural, not tested on animals, and free of paragons, phthalates, and petrochemicals. It comes in great fragrances like, pear, orange, vanilla, and cherry.

After finding güd while on one of my many trips to my favorite Target, I've tried the pear and the cherry, and I have enjoyed them both. I haven't tried the lotions yet since I am waiting to run out of my last brand first.

Supposedly, the bottle is even designed to be shaped like a microphone--perfect for belting out your favorite tune in the shower. I will neither confirm nor deny if I have been using my body wash bottle to sing in the shower, but just in case you want to give it a go, I will leave you with a song to sing this Saturday that I think would go perfectly with a bottle of güd and five minutes of peace and quiet in a hot shower.



Linking up with the fabulous Julia and her Mama Loves series and the awesome Ginger's Songs That Make Us Sing Saturdays!
Manic Mother

Songs That Make Us Sing

I was in no way solicited or compensated for the product reviews/mentions in this post. I am just a happy customer sharing my opinions.

7 comments:

Julia said...

Hmm....I'll have to check these out. Currently I use something about carrots, I'm blanking at the moment, but I don't love the smell of it.

Excited to try something that does smell nice, and doesn't have nasty chemicals in it! :)

Hope you're having a glorious Saturday, Melissa!

Kelly said...

It is so scary the amount of crap that is put in our products and food :( I try to be really good about what goes on their skin and their mouth, and like you, my switch over is a little slower.

RoryBore said...

Love Burts Bees products! especially their lip stuff. my lips don't get dried out using it.
I use Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo and Conditioner - they are sulfate free - and I love the smell and for me, works great.
despite the fact I may, or may not supposed to use one for colour treated hair :)

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

I also love Burt's bee products, never seen or heard of gud though?? Have to check it out!

Greta song pic...I also lov eme some Uncle Kracker! :)

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

I will be looking for those - I am almost out of my body wash! Thanks for the public service announcement. I'm careful about what I use on the twins. Me? Not so much. I need to work on that.

Tami said...

I use Aveeno and Burts Bees. I use the chapstick a lot in the winter. I haven't heard of gud before.

Leigh Powell Hines said...

I think it's good to what you are doing and I need to do more of it, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...