Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

For all our flowers...

The past couple of weeks have been rough ones for our family.

My mom underwent hernia surgery. We lost my great-aunt Estelle. Both of my dad's parents were taken to the hospital on the same day: one with GI bleeding, another with lung cancer, both in very serious condition. Two more relatives were hospitalized with serious illnesses.

Marty continued to log super-long hours for work, and as usual, my job kept me leaving too early, driving too long, and worrying too much.

Last Friday morning felt like a summation of the stress of the past couple of weeks. We overslept. Emily and Drew moved slowly, fighting everything from breakfast, to combing hair, to putting on their shoes.

Would we ever get it together?

As we finally rolled into the daycare drive, a good 45 minutes behind my schedule, I hurried to get them out of the car, while they continued to insist on doing it on their own with no help, while carrying every toy they could get their hands on.

Would we ever get it together?

On our way into the daycare, we always pass these beautiful flowers. On a less hectic day, we usually notice the flowers--pointing out the colors and answering the question, "Who made the flowers?"

To which Emily and Drew say, "Jesus made the flowers."

And then we say together, "Thank you, Jesus, for the flowers."

But not this day....got to get them in, get in the car, get to work, figure out how I am going to make time to spend the night at the hospital with my grandma like I promised her...

Emily and Drew again had other plans.

As they knelt down and sniffed the "pretty flowers," I found myself jolted by how two two-year olds had just given me such a powerful object lesson.

By literally stopping to smell the flowers, my sweet, innocent babies reminded me of the importance of smelling life's more figurative flowers.

I snapped a picture to capture the moment and then I bent down beside them and agreed that those were indeed some beautiful flowers.

As we walked in, I asked them who made the flowers.

"Jesus!"

Yes.

And, thank you, Jesus, for all our flowers.

My grandpa passed away yesterday, and I will always remember him as a man who frequently stopped to smell the flowers. Grandpa never met a stranger, and he often greeted family and friends with an affectionate title of “son” or “shug.” Slow to anger and not one to worry, Champ, as he was known to his friends, lived a “dog-bited” good life.

Thank you Jesus for all our flowers.

One of the main reasons I started this blog was to help me slow down and savor all of the sweet flowers of motherhood. Next week, we'll be at Disney for our much-anticipated vacation to Mickey's Park (as Em and Drew like to say). Please bear with me, as I might not get to read and respond much during this time. I am, however, committing to blogging each day about our trip so I will have a record of the sweet fragrance of fun times with my family.



7 comments:

christina said...

oh honey. i'm so SO sorry to hear of all that's going on- especially of your loss. :( ::big, huge hugs::

Johanna Baker said...

I wish I could hug you. I'm sorry about all of the sorrow and stress in your life right now.

I am so glad that your sweet little babies were able to help you see past that at least for a minute.

Jen Forbes said...

I'm sorry that things have been so very difficult for you and your family.

And I know your going to miss your Grandpa very much, I'm so sorry to hear about his passing.

Sounds like the Florida trip is coming at a good time, relax with hubby and those gorgeous babies of yours.

Colleen said...

Oh Melissa, I am so sorry to hear all this. I lost my grandfather last February and it was so terribly sad. thinking of you!

Beth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know how haqrd it can be to lose a loved one, but I'm so happy that you have your sweet little ones to remind you to be thankful for all of your flowers.

This too shall pass...

Kerry said...

I am so very sorry to read about the passing of your Grandfather...I am also sorry to hear of all the things that have been happening in your lives of late, I hope things look up and you enjoy your vacation to Mickey's Park! I am thinking of you friend as you go through all of this sadness, there are brighter days ahead for you, with lots of beautiful sweet smelling flowers...kids always help us to slow down and appreciate life and all its beauty xoxo

Olusola said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hope the vacation brings a much needed rest and rejuvenation to you, Marty, Em & Drew

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...