What happened to MaMe Musings, that little place on the WWW where a neurotic twin mom rambles about her parenting ups and downs while sprinkling in generous helpings of cute kid pictures?
Who replaced this self-doubting, over-tired, first-time mom with an over-sharing, meal planning, measuring, sauteing, simmering cooking machine?
She's still here. She's just trying to deal with one pesky, little problem:
Without a doubt, cooking is one of the hardest parts of my life to manage.
- have time to cook.
- know what to cook.
- enjoy cooking.
- like grocery shopping.
- want to do dishes.
- love to eat.
- want to eat better.
- need to save money.
- expect my kids to eat healthy.
- like to
prove my husband wrongpleasantly surprise my husband.
- Meal Planning
One major positive of using E-Meals for us was that it made us more intentional about what we were buying at the grocery store. We shopped from the list. I will admit that also made grocery shopping more like a scavenger hunt since I often spent too much time hunting down that elusive box of orzo.
While we no longer subscribe, we do use some of the recipes we tried from the plan, and we also have kept with the idea of planning our meals in advance.
Just this week, I discovered another online meal planning site called Food on the Table. This site also builds meal plans that use items that are on sale at your local grocery stores. With an accompanying smart phone app, this tool might just be worth a second click.
- Our Basic Rotation
- meat, green, healthy starch (ex. chicken, broccoli, long grain rice/roasted potatoes)
- crock pot (salsa chicken, buffalo chicken, pot roast and veggies, chili)
- wok (stirfry and brown rice)
- fish (baked salmon, tuna, fish tacos)
- meatless meal (veggie lasagne, bean burgers)
- Less meat and more veggies
- More ground turkey and less ground beef
- More whole grains (brown rice, whole grain pasta)
- More garlic (and spices, in general)
- More MUFAs(avocados, canola/olive oil, nuts)
- Less fat by using apple sauce and/or greek yogurt in place of oil/shortening/butter when baking
Linking up with two of my favorite blogs today-- Time Out for Mom
Oh, one more thing--I was in no way paid or sponsored by any site mentioned here!