Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer in Our City: Old and New

This summer MaMe has been all over the place...


So when rained washed away our beach plans for this past weekend, we found ourselves in a rather rare place for June, July, and August--HOME!

Even with a rare summer weekend home, we didn't stay around the house much. After all, it's hard to avoid the laundry and yard work that way!

Instead, we entertained ourselves by visiting a couple of old favorite places and a couple of new favorite places--right here in our CITY.

On Friday night, the Babies went to one of their all-time favorite places--GRANNY AND PAPA'S HOUSE while Marty and I headed to the Rascal Flatts' concert at Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion.

Through the years, the amphitheater has gone through some name changes: Hardee's Walnut Creek Amphitheatre and Alltel Pavilion. To me, it will always be Walnut Creek Amphitheatre. Could it really be that I went to my first concert there (Dave Matthews Band, I believe) when I was in high school in 1994?? (Don't answer).

Besides the name change, there were plenty of other reminders of the passage of time, of the fact that the amphitheater and me aren't as young as we used to be.

Eighteen years ago, rain would have just made things more fun as we tailgated for hours and then walked a mile in the mud to the front gate. This year, we all pitched in for premium parking so we didn't have to walk as far once the show ended. I mean, after all, it would be past 10 and we'd be exhausted. And forget sitting on wet grass while drunken youth stumbled on us; just the threat of rain sent us all to upgrade our tickets to the covered seating section.

Sixteen years later, my sister and I also legally enjoyed (an extra- large) beer without fear of receiving underage drinking ticket from the undercover police who patrol the Walnut Creek parking lots disguised as t-shirt salesman (Don't ask me how I know).

So while the experience for four old folks at an old favorite, summertime place was a bit new, we still had a great time--just like the old days.

Of course, Friday night festivities required Saturday rest. Stay tuned for more stories from our "Summer in Our City" weekend.

What fun have you found in your city this summer?


9 comments:

Olusola said...

I found a spray park for the kids. Now waiting for the temperature to go up so we can go back there

RoryBore said...

Wow - that is one King Size can of beer. also, I think you may be my long lost twin sister and I heart you ;)
back in my hometown this week too and may just tour some old stomping grounds. The Blues Festival is on and pretty sure I could find my dancing shoes.

Kelly said...

I didn't know they changed the name again!! I've been to a few concerts there myself!

christina said...

i would cry if tallied up all the money i spent at concerts back in the day. i mean that's all i did during the summer 20 years ago- see show after show after show and get trashed in the lawn seats.

we just saw the Wiggles last week. the WIGGLES.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME!

senner2+2 said...

I could have written this post myself! DMB concerts...undercovers....lawn seats...
My how times have changed!

Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) said...

I love staycations. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

Jen Forbes said...

Looks like you had a great time. It's been a while since we've been to a concert.

Willie Nelson was our area just last week but we passed... not a fan!!

Glad your enjoying your summer :)

Dvr Dame said...

Oh concerts how I miss thee!

Amber D said...

Sounds like so much fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...