Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Just Like My Mommy...

One of our favorite books, of late, to read at bedtime is Just Like My Mom by David Melling.

Image Credit

The last lines are my favorite:

At the end of the day, we all want to be somewhere quiet, safe and warm, with someone...just like my mom.

Perhaps one of the reasons I like this book is that all parents want to see themselves in their children and want their children to aspire to be like them.

I love when I catch glimpses of Emily and Drew doing and saying things--just like their mommy.

Or reminding me of myself in their looks or mannerisms.

Like today.

When I picked Emily up from school, the teacher had kindly re-combed her hair (as she often has to do because Emily has a habit of undoing my styling job before I can even get her to school).

In the place of my loosely tied single ponytail were two big girl pigtails.

She finally has pigtails--just like her mommy once did.

This wave of nostalgia sent me to a box of old photographs where I found this Polaroid of my daddy and me--dated Christmas 1978.

Once I laughed (again) at my daddy's hair, I smiled at the similarities in our pigtails, not oblivious to the fact that it took me a whole year longer to have enough hair to have side pigtails.

And, because Emily loves her daddy (just like her mommy loves her daddy), we also bought the companion book Just Like My Dad.



What do your kiddos do that is "just like mommy (or daddy)"?




7 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

So sweet! I was just thinking today, when we visit my dad next month, I want to dig through the picture box.

I bought the girls a book for Mother's Day. :) "Kitten's Colorful Day". At first kitten is sad that she's white, while all the other animals are so colorful (birds, dogs, frogs, butterflies, fish)...but then, at the end of the day, she settles down next to her mommy and realizes she's just like she's supposed to be. So sweet! :)

Love the pigtails...Em's, and yours!!!

Olusola said...

Em looks like such a mini you :)

RoryBore said...

well it's a lovely though, but sadly...don't look now kiddos because mama is enjoying a Bacardi cooler and catching up blogs while Beastie Boys rap in the background.

I might want to rethink my whole idea of "legacy". LOL

in my defence, it is my anniversary and it happens to be a night of very lax rules around here. probably going to regret that later. ha

Dvr Dame said...

Very adorable! I notice certain mannerisms in my children as well. I guess that's why my husband and I call them our little clones.

KERRY said...

Emily is a mini you!! Wow, cute pics :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Awwwww, no wonder that warmed your heart!

Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) said...

Melissa, thank you for following my blog. I just saw your photo tonight. I appreciate it. YOu have a beautiful family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...