Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Second Birthday Party Recap

Just two short weekends ago, we celebrated Emily and Andrew's second birthday! After taking the party to the beach last year, we took a different direction this year and headed to Sesame Street where our furry friend, Elmo, joined our family and friends in wishing my sweet babies a very happy second birthday. And, before someone comments how they are not babies anymore, let me make the official announcement: they will always be my babies. To clear up any confusion, they will, hereinafter, when referenced collectively, be called the Babies ;-)

Here's a picture-heavy recap of THE BABIES' party:

I finally completed a Pinterest find when I made this button-covered "2" to hang on the front door wreath. I wish I had taken pictures of the Sesame Street monster footprints that led guests from the sidewalk to the door. I got that idea from Pinterest, too!



Feeling cocky confident after my Pinterest button number success, I became a craft machine (albiet with blisters on my fingertips from a hot glue gun with a sticky trigger).

I made a photo line for Emily and Drew that included pictures from birth until 2. I knew they had changed, but, wow! Seeing the pictures all together really proved that I am not just an overly-sentimental mother who thinks her babies blossomed right before her very eyes.



Make sure you are seated for the next part. Ready? You sure? I actually baked the cakes and the cupcakes! First time I have ever baked so much! And, with the help of a dear friend and her magical icing tips, we iced 48 cupcakes and two smash cakes. Just when I thought I couldn't look at any more buttercream icing, my mom came over and helped me finish off the faces. Isn't Big Bird's beak cool?? (marshmallows!)









Pinterest also helped me craft the Sesame Street themed menu complete with street signs to point guests to all the goodies.





If guests weren't chowing down on snacks or hamburgers and hotdogs from the grill, they could probably be found having some fun with their pals from Sesame Street. After a mild case of Pinterest fever After some creative inspiration, I came up some cheap entertainment using much of what we already had.

The kiddie pool became "Ernie's Duck Pond", the water table became "Dorothy's Water Table," the kitchen set became "Cookin' with Cookie Monster." We had "Bubbles with Big Bird," "Zoe's Tattoo Parlor," "Oscar's Trash Toss," "Telly's TV," "Snuffy's Playroom," "Baby Bear's Ball Pit" and "Bert's Basket of Fun."





After working up an appetite outside, the Babies came inside for a snack.



Then it was back outside for CAKE TIME!









Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, we looked up and realized that Emily and Drew's favorite character, ELMO, had crashed the party!



Yes, this is the best family picture we could get.


This picture is a little better since Drew wasn't trying to squirmingly decide whether he liked or feared Elmo.


There was no doubt, though, that Grandma and Papa love Elmo!





We were so thankful for all of our family and friends who came out to celebrate this special day with us.



We could have just stopped there, but our friends also brought us some sweet gifts to open. Emily and Drew, tired and coming off of a sugar high, were glad some of their friends stayed around to help with the unwrapping.





Bubbles, first fishing poles, cell phones, trucks, clothes, puzzles, books, sand buckets, golf sets, a pool, Disney movies, money for avings account, talking animals...it was like Christmas in June for my Babies who are now...



Among our party guests was our friend and very talented photographer, Lisa Wynn of Real Life Images Photography. Here are some of the images she so generously captured for us so MaMe could concentrate on wrangling toddlers partying.

If you are in the Raleigh/Durham area and are looking for a photographer, you should definitely check out Real Life Images Photography.

Thanks again, Lisa!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create your own free slideshow design









10 comments:

Samantha said...

You really are a craft machine! Great work, mamma!!

Awn said...

Three things:
1. Elmo totally skeeves me out. I'm basically guaranteed at least one child in the future who will love Elmo and only Elmo.

2. Emily was so careful and girly with her cake! Tell me you have a picture with cake in her hair and icing all over.

3. Girl, you were a baking loon! And they all look amazing.

I'm so glad it went well!

Heather B said...

I am completely in awe of your craftiness. Heaven's knows if I tried to bake like that it would be a disaster! Looks like so much fun :) And yes...they will ALWAYS be babies!

christina said...

awww everything looks PERFECT for your BABIES! :) :)

Tasha said...

What a great 2nd birthday party!! I love all you did! Doesn't it feel good to know YOU did it?!?! Those cucpcakes and little smashcakes are precious!!! Good job!
Love all the pictures!

Johanna Baker said...

Holy cow, girl - you can throw a party! :) I cannot believe you made all of those adorable cakes! SO cute! I am so impressed. Looks like everyone (including all of the big people) had a blast.

And...
Mine are 4, and I still call them 'the babies'. :) With no more babies coming, I'd guess I'll be sending 'the babies' off to college. Perhaps when they have their own babies, I'll stop.

Deb said...

We are having an Elmo party too! I love that Elmo came to the party, pretty sure my kids wouldn't know what to do with a live Elmo. Happy Birthday!

Olusola said...

Great, great job mama and happy birthday Drew and Em. I'm especially loving those cupcakes

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I am so impressed! You are so talented. From the cupcake design to the activities, well everything was so amazing!!! And Elmo, oh how I love Elmo.

KERRY said...

What an awesome 2nd birthday for 'the babies', which btw are so very cute and adorable! They would have loved this day and all of the special touches, who doesn't love Sesame Street? The cupcakes and the individual cakes look so good, too good to eat :)
Happy birthday Emily and Drew!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...