Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Because every day is Mother’s Day…

As I thought about the significance of this Mother’s Day, I realized it was completely appropriate that I am just now getting around to posting this year’s holiday happenings.

According to the calendar and the greeting card companies, Mother’s Day was over 2 weeks ago—only about 50 weeks until we celebrate all over again.

However, as I thought about our Mother’s Day this year, I realized this day was really no different from any other day.

For me, I learned that Mother’s Day is really every day when I take the time to celebrate motherhood by acknowledging and giving thanks for the biggest blessing of my life--my children.

So on May 13, 2012, I celebrated the day and the gift of motherhood by just being a mom.

More specifically, I was a mom who took her children to the zoo for the first time.

It certainly wasn’t your typical gift.

I didn’t get to sleep in. I didn’t get showered with gifts of flowers and jewelry. I didn’t get a gift certificate for a spa day. I didn’t get a nice meal at my favorite restaurant.

What I did get was much more precious and more cherished.

I got to see the world anew through the eyes of a child.


Emily asking to see the “piggies.”

Both of them asking for “more animals!”

Drew learning to clearly say the word “monkey”

Both of them laughing when the geyser went off.

The excited look on their faces when they finally saw the elephant on the savannah

The way they loved the chimps, giraffes, ostriches, zebras, bison, bears…

But didn’t care for the snakes, lizards, or animatronic dinosaurs

The way they were eager to ride the carousel…

Until it started to move.

Sharing a cup of Dippin’ Dots as a family as we waited for the rain to pass.

Emily and Andrew, chasing a bird back and forth, trying to grab it through the glass.

Watching Drew get more excited about the Park golf cart and shuttle buses than the exotic animals


Yes, it was the perfect gift.


PS- If my husband is reading this post, please make no mistake—Since every day is Mother’s Day to me, you can book my spa day, complete with a nap, flowers, and dinner out, for any of the next 348 days.

11 comments:

KERRY said...

You are a beautiful mummy with matching beautiful kids! Your day at the zoo looks like lots of fun :)

RoryBore said...

Love the Zoo! I kinda wonder if I take the kids...because I want to go! ha

love the P.S!

Kelly said...

Great post! We had our first family picnic in the park - just what I wanted! Which zoo did you go to? that is on our "to do" list this summer!

Full Hands, Full Heart said...

What a sweet post! I also experienced the zoo with my boys a week after Mother's Day...and teared up as they saw the dolphins jumping out of the water. (Or, as one saw for the first time while the other was passed out on grandma's shoulder.) :) Loved this post, and wanted to share the Liebster Blog award with you. Thanks for the inspiration!

Miss Megan said...

What an awesome day!! The zoo looks awesome!
There was no sleeping in, dining out, spa days or gifts galore (or even a card actually) for Mother's Day my way either. BUT, I did get to spend a beautiful day enjoying by two beautiful blessings and my husband. And really, how could a day be better than that?
Happy Mother's Day!

irishtwinsmommababybook said...

Happy Mother's Day!!! :) After the first or second holiday, you get used to it being just another... And the surprises are surprises. :)

Tami said...

What a sweet Mother's Day! Going to the zoo and seeing their precious faces light up is an awesome treat! It looks like you had fun!
If..no, When your husband books you a spa day, make sure he makes a reservation for me too! ;-)

Awn said...

A perfect Mother's Day! I'm so glad there are mommas like you out there to set an example for those of us who hope to be a momma someday!

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Sounds like a truly wonderful day!! The kiddies are getting so big...cuties I tell ya!

You're looking FAb BTW!

:)

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I think this is so fantastic!

The first couple of Mother's Days I had - to be honest - I was kind of disappointed my husband didn't do more. He's not a "gifter" for any occasion...but surely he would step back and realize I need a little something special, right? I even told him how much I would appreciate a massage or a mani/pedi.

I think I got a goofy card. :/

I read something after last Father's Day, though...a guy who just asked for individual mini-dates with each of his kiddos. It hit me upside the head!

It's not that I don't want (and deserve!) some pampering, but I decided to make this Mother's Day just about enjoying my girlies. I had planned a hiking trip through a local park -- great family fun for us all. It rained on M-Day, so I we had to fulfill the day the next week, but truly that's how I want to think about the day from now on.

And, like you, I'll gladly take a massage another day. :)

Happy Mother's Day, sweet friend!!!

Carolina said...

Hey, I was having issues with my blog, so I had to start a new one. Here is the link in case you'd like to follow again http://readmymindsthoughts.blogspot.com
Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

ps: looks like zoo day was tons of fun! Your family is so beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...