Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

It's About Time

As I look at the clock, I start getting panicky about the time. It's already 9:00 pm on Sunday. Is the weekend really almost over??

We spent most of our time this weekend visiting my grandma with my mom and the babies. Marty stayed home for a disastrous hockey game.

We made it up to Rougemont just in time to attend my great-aunt's retirement dinner, and despite the fact that it was a mammoth undertaking to get us there (45 minutes late), we had a great time celebrating such a special occasion with family who we certainly don't see enough.

It's easy to blame time--there's not enough, it takes too much.

But, inevitably, I never regret the time I do spend. I always say to myself, "Don't make excuses next time." Until the next time.

We then made my grandma's weekend by spending the night. Seriously, she loves having us, and we definitely don't visit her enough (insert time excuse here).

This picture was taken the last time we stayed with her.


Yes, it's been that long.

We spent the rest of the evening talking and visiting. Emily and Drew spent most of their time exploring...Great-Granny has all kinds of goodies to touch, move, stack, and break!


So much fun, so little time, and I am not even counting what we moved out of reach...


During their adventures, the babies uncovered strange toys from another time period--cassette tapes!


These relics made perfect make-shift blocks for Drew while Emily liked the pretty ribbon.


It was hard to tell who was having the best time.



Originally, trying the make the most of the limited amount of weekend time, I had planned to be on the road home first thing this morning. Grandma had other plans--more visiting and shopping. Do you know how hard it is to say no to Grandma?

So, I didn't. We said, yes, and in doing so, we gave her (and ourselves) the gift of time.

We drank coffee, visited with aunts and an uncle, took our time driving over to the outlets, shopped, and stopped to ride multiple money pits kiddie rides.


It's about time.

11 comments:

Samantha said...

Playing with the cassettes - too cute!

jen@ living a full life said...

I hadn't seen you all week on the blog, was hoping you were off some where having a good time and I see I was right. Grandma looks like she's having a grand time with the twins; too cute!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

You're so right...time is truly the best gift you can ever give or receive!

I'm sure it can be a handful sometimes, but you're very blessed to have such a great - and big! - family! Glad to hear you all got to enjoy each other this weekend. :)

Kathy Radigan said...

It's so funny but we so often find ourselves rushing from one thing to another and when we take the time to slow down and share the time with someone else it really is the best give we can give! Looks like you all had a great visit! Emily looks very happy with the cassette! Both Emily and Drew looked like they had a great time! Thanks for sharing them with us!

KERRY said...

I am glad your grandmother is a very patient woman, look at all the things you had to move! It's so nice to see that none of it bothered her, I am sure she adores having you all stay over. Sounds like alot of fun was had :)

Kristen said...

I LOVE this post. Love it.

Ashleigh said...

I will be taking the kids to see my grandparents for the first time since they were three months old TODAY! So funny that I caught your post before taking off.

Unfortunately, it's much easier to stay away, then deal with the tornado that is toddling twins!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

You certainly do have two very busy little ones, don't you? So much to explore at Grandma's house but what a wonderful visit!!

Tasha said...

What sweet-sweet memories with your grandmother. Cherish them! April 18th will be one year my sweet Mama Flo left us to live in Glory.
Time is exactly what we all need and what you can never get back. Cherish every minute of it.

Awn said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend! I think we forget (our generation) that we should take TIME with family. The generations above us get that concept totally.

momto8 said...

a great gift for sure!
great pics too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...