Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Squishy Bags!

Last night we added another Friday Family Fun Night to the books, and I am starting to think we may have ourselves a new tradition in the making.

I found this week's activity on a great blog called Quirky Momma.

I know. I know. You were totally expecting me to say it was another Pinterest find-- not this week-- although I fully expect to be pinning lots of new ideas from this blog in the very near future!

The babies had so much fun with the sensory box a few weeks ago that I decided to look for a similar (but less messy) activity. Quirky Momma has LOTS of ideas!

I finally decided on Squishy Colors.

We had most of what we needed. Back in the early 90's I probably would have had the hair gel-- you know for scrunching my perm. Twenty years later, we had to make a trip to Target to pick up an extra large bottle of clear hair gel. Can you believe you can get a bottle that big for only $1.89?? At that price, it's a wonder more people don't use it!


While we gather the supplies, my little Wolfpacker waits patiently!


We mixed 4 different colors by adding food coloring to the hair gel.


I then added the colored hair gel to Ziploc bags.






The hardest part was keeping the babies from squishing the bags until all the gel was in place!


Let the squishing begin!



Overall, I would say this family night fun activity was a success (even though they only played with the bags for about 5 minutes before moving on). I put the bags away and planned to take them back out for more play later.

After putting the babies to bed, I settled down for a little blog reading. (I've been really behind with blogging due to a crazy work schedule and my renewed commitment to limit my online time when the babies are awake.)

Turns out, we're not the only ones engaging in a little squishy bag fun. Ashleigh over at Happiness Is had just posted about making squishy bags with her adorable twins. I loved how she had taped the bags to the windows making them suncatchers, too! Inspired, I pulled the bags back out this morning, taped them to the window, and watched last night's craft become new again!


Linking up with Mama Loves...hop on over and be inspired!
Manic Mother



Don't forget to leave a comment to enter into my giveaway of Cole and the Crooked Flower!

15 comments:

RoryBore said...

I think this will be a March Break idea that we try when visiting grandma next week.

I'll be looking for ways to keep them entertained all week: both my mom and I will be perusing Pinterest with great interest! LOL

Heather B said...

Looks like so much fun! Pretty sure my little monsters will love it as well. They are ALL about colors lately :)

jen@ living a full life said...

Ok Melissa now I'm 52 and I want to do this myself! What a neat idea. I just had a conversation with a friend last night and she was trying to come up with creative ways to play with her granddaughter. This is wonderful and I bet she'd like it as well. I'm going to share this with her.

Ashleigh said...

How cute, Melissa! I'm glad my post was able to inspire you guys to have a little more fun with your squishy bags!

The finger paints worked great for us, but I like the idea of using the clear hair gel, making the colors brighter (especially for Makayla), and letting them getting the added effect of plaing with the whole bag...we might graduate to this project when they get a little older, and I don't think they'll eat through the bag. ;)

KERRY said...

What a great idea! Just look at the smile on your daughters face, she is so excited to play!!

Tasha said...

My almost seven year old twins would be all over this. I think we might try it. I love the colors!! Thanks for sharing!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Laughing over the hair gel commentary!

And how cool! I love that look on Em's face when she first gets her hands on the squishy! :)

Mom on a Line said...

Looks like so much fun! Too bad my kids are too old for that.

Beth said...

What a fun idea!
I absolutely love that picture of Emily squishing her squishy bag. I think she enjoyed it :-)

Olusola said...

Hey, we both have ziploc-based posts on mama loves. Only difference is mine was more of a failure report. Does this eventually squish into one color or do the colors stay apart?

momto8 said...

looks way fun!! I guess you already tried the homemade play dough..that held my kids attention for long time!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
good luck creating and discovering ways to teach your kids....it is worth the effort!

Martine said...

This looks like fun, I'm going to pick up the gel & food coloring nth is week so we can do it too! Thanks or sharing :)

Julia said...

Hair gel is such a bargain---who knew?! :) I love that the mess is contained within a bag!

We're definitely going to put this on our to-do list! Love seeing the pretty colors in the window! :)

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Miss Megan said...

Love it! And I love how it is multi purpose being a sun catcher too!
We did the same sort of thing a couple weeks back with the paint in ziploc bags...it looked really cool...but it only kept them occupied for about 5 minutes. Still cool though! I like the hair gel better. Adding it to our craft options list!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

OMG! This looks like soooo ,much fun...I LOVE it! Can;t wait to do it with Ave & Bryce...thanks!

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...