Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Quitting, Starting Over, and Winning

Whenever I don't blog for several days, I always feel like I have to offer a reason.

Here it is:

Life--in all its messy, beautiful glory.

We've been busy with all kinds of spring fun--bunnies, ducks, parks, flowers. We even worked in a spur-of-the-moment beach trip this past weekend, complete with fresh seafood and sleeping in.

There have been other less fun things, too. We are battling yet another round of ear infections, and yes, the doctor finally mentioned the dreaded "tubes." All the while, I feel the dark cloud of anxiety that I have been battling for the last year slowly creeping back in. In the middle of it all, we have just kept moving.

Notice I said moving. Not jogging.

That's right. I quit my Couch to 5K training plan. One snap of cold weather and I was finished. I don't like the cold, and I certainly don't like running in it.

But...

I have kept moving.

I have started over with a new, more sustainable plan. I have started walking with the babies most afternoons for at least 30 minutes. Pushing the big double jogging stroller has to add some additional aerobic benefit.

I may not run the 5K in April, but I will walk it while pushing almost 60 pounds of baby and metal.

I will walk it honor all of the women and their families who keep moving.



We have a winner!

The winner of the Cole and the Crooked Flower book giveaway is Erin of Two Possums and a Bug!

Erin has been busy spreading kindness all around, and it makes me happy to be able to send a little something back her way. If I know Erin, she'll find a way to share this book, if not with her own three, sweet kiddos, then with some other very special children.


12 comments:

KERRY said...

Oh you're not alone there Melissa, I do not like the cold and the thought of exercising in it I dislike even more!!
I hope whichever bubba it is that has the sore ear gets better soon!!
Sounds like a nice busy but fun time has been happening around your parts, sorry to hear about the anxiety creeping in, hope it creeps back out just as quick xo

Erin said...

Aw, shucks. Thank you, Melissa. I promise I will share this sweet story to all who will listen to me. =)

Courtney Baxtron said...

Hope everyone feels better quickly! And hey, there is no shame in walking a race…especially one for such a good cause!

Kathy Radigan said...

I hate ear infections!! We did the tubes with one of our ear infection plagued children and it really helped, but it was hell, for my husband and I. Lizzy was only 2, she doesn't remember anything about it!!Lol! I hope your little ones are feeling better! Good for you for walking in the race!! You are amazing!! Much love!

Kelly said...

That double stroller is a beast!! I wear my heart rate monitor on runs/walks and it is so much higher when pushing that thing! Great workout!

RoryBore said...

don't feel bad... I'm like a fluffy grumpy polar bear during our winters. blubbers required to stay warm ya know - LOL.

and quite honestly, I only run when chased, and even then, I'll all "meh. ya caught me, so what."

but walking for such a great cause...that I am totally all over.

Johanna said...

Get well soon! And, you don't need an excuse to skip a few days on the blog... twin toddlers is excuse enough! :) I also bailed for a few days for a vacay (no beach or sleeping in, so I'm a little jealous), and am trying to catch up.

Dvr Dame said...

I feel the same way you do about blogging and exercise. I finally learned after 5 years that all my personal plans will have to be put on hold for my family. My oldest will be starting kinder this fall...they grow up so fast. Enjoy your walks with the kiddos.

Cathy said...

Frankly if I'd commit to jogging/running that commitment would not last long!

Walking, on the other hand, comes much easier to me and it definitely qualifies as a work out. I've toned up considerably since I've started walking, even without the double stroller which to me qualifies as a "whole body workout!!"

Kristy @PampersandPinot said...

Oh, I know I know! I have been enjoying spring and not pushing myself too hard when it comes to blogging. Keep it simple and enjoy life!

irishtwinsmommababybook said...

Keep up the good work!!! Those words always get ne through. :)

Always Heather said...

Love this post! I can't wait until my race is over...and then I can go back to being a normal person...running in normal weather! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...