Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Causes Close to My Heart

As many of you may remember, last April, Drew was diagnosed with idiopathic infantile scoliosis.

Full of fear and worry, I began looking for any information I could find. One of the first organizations I found was the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program.

Through this organization, I found Tasha, a mom to twin boys, one of whom has progressive infantile scoliosis. We initially connected through her blog, One Day at a Time, and over the past year, she has not only supported me through Drew's scoliosis journey, she has become one of my dear bloggy friends.

She is currently giving away a wonderful book that was written by a mom whose son also has infantile scoliosis. Cole and the Crooked Flower is the tale of a little boy who finds a crooked flower in his garden. After many attempts and finally a little help, his flower becomes the tallest and straightest in the garden.



As Tasha writes, "Scoliosis is the curvature and rotation of the spine. Progressive Infantile Scoliosis is a rare form of scoliosis affecting approximately 1 in 10,000 children from birth to age 3 years. Unlike the more commonly known form of adolescent scoliosis, infantile scoliosis is a very serious condition that requires immediate treatment. Children under 3 still have lots of growing to do, and without treatment their spines will continue to curve and rotate as they grow. This unfortunately can result in rapid progression of the condition potentially leading to physical deformity, discomfort, respiratory and heart problems. The good news is that in the majority of cases this rapid growth can also be the CURE."

All proceeds from the sale of Cole and the Crooked Flower go to Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program.

Not only does the sale of this book help raise funds, each copy also helps raise awareness--not only for early diagnosis but also early treatment.

Please join me in supporting this important cause. It's simple:

1. Visit Tasha's blog and enter her giveaway. The book would make a perfect addition to your child's library or a generous donation to your local children's hospital or pediatrician's office!

2. Leave a comment here and I will enter you in my very own giveaway of a copy of Cole and the Crooked Flower. Now you have two chances to win a copy!

3. Purchase your book directly here.

In case you are wondering how Drew is doing, we are very fortunate that each visit to the pediatric orthopedist has shown an improvement in his curve. His scoliosis does not appear to be progressive. As long as his curve continues to improve as he grows, no treatment will be necessary. While we are happy for Drew's positive prognosis, our hearts are still with all of the families who are living with progressive infantile scoliosis.



Did you know that today is World Kidney Day?

Neither did I.

Thanks to another terrific twin mommy, Erin at Two Possums and a Bug, I didn't miss it entirely.

Both Erin and I have personal stories of why kidneys are particularly important to our life stories. I'll let you visit Erin's blog to learn her story since she is much better with words than me. (Plus, you don't want to miss her Kindness Project--really).

For me, thanks to a precious, donated kidney, I still have my daddy. In 1999, two years after starting dialysis, my daddy received a living donor kidney transplant from his sister.
Daddy, me, and Mama on my wedding day


Life-saving.
Life-changing.
Awe-inspiring.
Love beyond words.


Papa and Drew


Are you a registered organ donor? Want more information? Please join me in supporting this important cause. It's simple:

1. Visit DonateLife and register to be a donor.

2. Share your decision with your family.

3. Hug your loved ones.

MaMe Musings

7 comments:

Heather B said...

I was not aware of this at all, and am so glad it is not progressive in Drew. much love!

Martine said...

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing and good luck to Drew and your Dad xxx

Erin said...

June twins, kidneys, blogs...what else might we have in common?! So glad to hear that Drew is improving and that your dad is thriving. Ain't good news grand!

Miss Megan said...

Wow, I had no idea! Glad Drew is doing well and it isn't progressive. What a relief!
And how great for your dad! My dad lost a kidney last year to encapsulated kidney cancer. Luckily at this point he doesn't need dialysis or a transplant, and we are so grateful! It's wonderful to have the dads around for as long as possible...my girls LOVE him dearly!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Samantha said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

Tami said...

I am a recent follower so I didn't know about Drew's condition. I am glad to hear there is a cure!

Tasha said...

Melissa, I am so thankful for you helping to spread AWARENESS for Progressive Infantile Scoliosis. Since the day Ryan started treatment that has been my goal. To just make parents AWARE!!! To Melissa's readers: Check your babies spine daily!!! And insist their doctor check it at EVERY appt. We did not find out about Ryan's curve until he was 9 months old. It could have been caught much earlier!!!! There IS early treatment for Infantile Scoliosis! And Melissa I am so thrilled Drew has been self resolving thus far. That is my continued prayer for him. And I am happy to hear your Dad is doing well!! Thanks again for sharing about my giveaway!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...