Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The greatest of these is love...

I had a Pour Your Heart Out post all ready to go. It was full of hurt and pain caused by the words and opinions of someone close to me. No names were going to be called, of course, but the chance of my my words causing greater harm than good gave me pause.

I spent some time thinking about why I even felt the need to pour my heart out and why the words and opinions of another had stung so much. How could anyone be so opposed to...

love?

That's when I realized that I should just let love speak for itself. No blog post, no logical argument, no amount of talking will ever change this person's some people's way of thinking.

But, love...

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Image Credit


So instead of sounding like a gong or a clanging cymbal this morning, I give you instead proof of God's love and promise in my life. Proof of the greatest love I have ever known...

Who can argue with this kind of love?





13 comments:

Tasha said...

Precious!!
I have no idea what is going on, but one thing I have learned is the older people get the harder it is for them to change. And more than likely will not.
I stress less by moving on.
Sweet picture of the growing babes.

Beth said...

Good for you being the bigger person. Sometimes it really is best to just move on.

I don't know what happened, but I can't believe that anyone could not see your amazing love for your family. That love will get you through. "Love never fails."

christina said...

i will NEVER understand how some people can be sooooo pigheaded about stuff and just refuse to listen to other variations of their thoughts. i find it so ... sad and unfortunate for them, really.

but anyway.. i have no sound at work but that video is SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO darling. i just wanna scoop them both up and hug and kiss them. soooo sweet.

Julia said...

Oh, bless you, Melissa.

I've had posts like that---all ready go to, and then had the same pause. That pause is loving them better than they loved me. And that's hard, especially when we feel hurt or wronged. Good for you.

Melissa, your babies are so beautiful!

jen@ living a full life said...

My goodness my friend you really have had a difficult time of it of late, haven't you? I'm sorry Melissa, I'm sorry that there's this pain weighing heavy on your heart.

But I do relate to the depth or breathe of our feelings being a source of pain when someone we love just doesn't get it.

Shell said...

Such a positive spin on it. Love this.

Johanna said...

Who, indeed? They are so precious, they make my heart squeeze tighter. Sorry for whatever is going on with your friend. :(

RoryBore said...

my favourite part of the bible, without a doubt. what a different world it would be if everyone could just grasp this idea of what love is. So many people have this mistaken idea that if it hurts so much....it must be love. so backwards.
Love should always lift up. always.
as you have demonstrated so beautifully! thank you for that!

And, oh my gosh...they are so loving and wonderful! my heart swells and they aren't even mine!

Donna said...

Good for you to not post when you felt that nudge. There have been times I felt a nudge and blundered straight ahead because I was so right and they were so wrong and .... chaos and regret followed. Because you can be right and do the wrong thing. You showed courage and honor.

Sara S said...

Way to be positive and to be the bigger person!

Dvr Dame said...

I can't argue with that. Beautiful!

KERRY said...

Just beautiful!! There is nothing sweeter than love...xo

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Those are all great things of LOVE...it's hard to take the high road sometimes but MAN, doesn;t it feel really good when you do?

Happy LOVE-filled day to you and yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...