Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

We All Matter

This post from one of my sweet "blog mom" friends has been the topic of much conversation in our house this weekend. If you haven’t read the story, you can read the mother’s heartbreaking story here and today’s USA Today story here.

I’ve written and re-written this blog post in my head many times.

Ultimately, I decided to not write anything at all.

As someone who (1) is a mother who loves her children more than anything and (2) has her daddy here today because of a living donor kidney transplant (from my aunt), I am moved beyond words by this story.

So instead of trying to write something that ultimately might come across as trite, cliche, or cursory, I will instead say I am praying for Mia--for a precious child--and for her family.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

7 comments:

RoryBore said...

I read her story. deplorable, absolutely deplorable.

I swear sometimes, with the plant full of callous, bottom-line decision makers such as this: I wouldn't blame God one bit for sending another flood.

I'm simply stunned.

jen@ living a full life said...

Great quote by MlK . And your SO right, I can't imagine how anyone could be silent at such an unimaginable tragedy.

KERRY said...

So heartbreaking and shocking at the same time. To be denied such a right to live...I can't imagine the frustration and anger these parents feel towards these Doctors.

Awn said...

Well said MaMe! I too struggled with what to write in the hope that Mia's story would be told but told well and through her parents instead of myself...not sure I succeeded, but my heart was in the right place. :)

Heather B said...

There are no appropriate words for the disgust I am feeling in regards to this. I know CHOP has done many wonderful things, but this is deplorable, and disturbing. If a doctor can make the decision that lack of mental capacity supersedes the oath to do no harm. I am terrified for the future.

Helene said...

I've read her story too. It's so sad. I've signed the petition and put it out there on FB, as well, hoping friends will sign it also.

Hockey Mom said...

I saw this story on the news. I cannot comprehend it at all! Doctors are sworn to uphold an oath and this is breaking that oath!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...