Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

What a Wonderful World...

Three years ago today, Marty and I married.

Just the other day, I told him to not to take it the wrong way, but it sure feels a lot longer than three years. He understood exactly what I meant.

In many ways, parenthood speeds up everything. That old adage, "The days are long, but the years are short" rings true.

But, when it comes to marriage, the days and the years have seemed long. I am not complaining or wishing time away or making a statement about the health of our marriage.

It just feels like it feels.

All at once...

exhausting,
frustrating, and
wonderful.

We celebrated our anniversary last night with a dinner at a French restaurant where I don't even think they provide high chairs or a kid's menu. We ate food, like steak tartare and beef bourguignon, that babies wouldn't like. We didn't cut it up for each other or remind the other not to throw sippy cups off the table. We only made two didn't make embarrassing impersonations of the babies. We didn't request the check before dessert in anticipation of an end-of-meal meltdown.

We walked to the movie theater, sans stroller or fussy toddlers with spaghetti legs, where we enjoyed our first full-length movie in a theater since I was pregnant. And, Tom Cruise wasn't the only one who completed an impossible mission last night-- I stayed awake for the entire movie!

In honor of our anniversary, here's the song that Marty and I originally picked for our first dance. The DJ at Margaritaville couldn't find it, so I think (hey, I was a few margaritas in at that point) we danced to the Nat King Cole version of "What a Wonderful World."





Happy New Year, Friends! In 2012, I hope all your troubles melt like lemon drops...

20 comments:

Kristen said...

Love this post. Love it. Happy Anniversary. And... I totally get the "didn't ask for the check before desert" thing. We went out 3 nights ago and I didn't know how to eat like a normal person :) xoxo Happy 2012 Sweet Mama. I mean MaMe

Kristen

Anne said...

Happy anniversary and a very Happy New year!!
~Anne

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Samantha said...

Happy anniversary!

christina said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Happy 2012!

Johanna said...

Happy anniversary, sweet friend. We are celebrating 6 years tonight, but I had to do the math twice, because I could have sworn it was 7! :)

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic evening!!! And once again, Happy Anniversary to you! :) :)

Miss Megan said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful evening! Ah! A full dinner with non-toddler friendly food AND a whole movie?! Holy cow!!! It's been since I was pregnant that we've had that too! LOL! So glad you had a great time and enjoyed each other's company. It was definitely a well deserved celebration of your love =).

Tasha said...

Happy Anniversary!!! And many more years to come!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary and New Year! Before you know the kids will be grown and it will be back to just the 2of you.

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Happy Anniversary my friend...I LOVE this song and it is such a great one to start the year off with...so much so that had I not made my own video I was going to use the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" mix!

All the best in 2012! xo

jen@ living a full life said...

What a wonderful treat, a romantic night together, awake- childless and dinning on scrumptious food.

I am so happy that you and hubby got a special night out for your anniversary.

Happy New Year friend.

KERRY said...

Awww one of my favourite songs ever!! I sing this to my little man who will be 1 in a few short weeks so I completely understand this post. You two make a beautiful couple, you look stunning in your wedding pic on the beach!
So good to hear you had a great date night and celebrated your anniversary (alone) Happy 2012!!

Susan Evans said...

What a beautiful wedding picture, and a beautiful song, too!

Olusola said...

Happy anniversary & happy new year girl.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

That was so precious to read about your wonderful evening where you could just relax and enjoy. I love, love, love that song, and I wish you the happiest of anniversaries and a happy 2012 as well! :)

Shell said...

What a gorgeous pic!

Happy anniversary!

Tami said...

Gorgeous wedding photo! Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!

RoryBore said...

Love that wedding picture! Happy New Year and Anniversary!
Tried dinner out last night with grandparents, us and the 3 kids. Yep....was a Mission Impossible. Although to my kids' credit...the service was incredibly bad and the thus the wait very, very long.

OurLifeUnrehearsed said...

Thanks for stopping by today and Happy Belated Anniversary. The hubs and I will be celebrating three years too on the 15th and I'm sooo super excited for some time without the little one.
I have soo much to catch up on with your blog but promise to stop by more often in 2012. Happy New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...