Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Noon Year's Eve Party

You know I am not one to rush the holidays, but the truth of the matter is, before you know it, Christmas will be behind us, and we'll all be talking about our New Year's Eve plans (or lack thereof). If you're looking for a fun, kid-friendly alternative for New Year's Eve, you're going to love today's "Unwrapping Our Gifts" guest post from Johanna of The Baker Twins. Johanna is the mom of super-adorable three- year- old twin girls. As one of the first bloggy moms I met, Johanna has always inspired me with her sense of humor, her ability to turn everyday events into awesome learning experiences, and her gift for hospitality and entertaining. Her "Noon Year's Eve Party" is classic Johanna--brilliant, fun, and memorable. Be inspired and then click over and check out more of The Baker Twins!

MaMe Musings



New Year's has always held great appeal to me. The idea of starting over fresh, a chance to look back and reflect on a year's worth of blessings, and let's be honest... the awesome opportunities for decadent parties. I upped the ante in 2005, when I married my best friend on New Year's Eve in a massive white tie event in my hometown. We have held our infamous annual New Year's Eve parties every year since. In fact, the New Year's Eve following the birth of my twins was the first time I ever left the girls in someone else's care. One night out of the year in which I can pretend I am young again.



Since having my babies, it has been a little bit harder to escape into the revelry of celebrating the New Year. Sure, we still host a big party (leaving the girls with their grandparents for the night). But, I wanted to get Camden and Grayden involved in the holiday that is so special to me. Let's face it... New Year's isn't really a children's holiday. They are too young for champagne, resolutions, and staying up until midnight.



My solution came in the form of what I call our 'Noon Year's Eve Party'. I run a large but close-knit mom's group, and each year, we throw the babies (infants, toddlers, and preschoolers) a party. The kids ring in the new year with noisemakers, crafts, and friends. We have a balloon drop and countdown to 12 noon. We even toast with sparkling apple juice. To say that it is cute or that the kiddos have fun is the understatement of the {new} year. Last year, we waited to have our party until a couple of days AFTER New Year's - we were able to stock up on lots of great party favors, hats, noisemakers, and decorations quite cheaply on the sale racks... and really, the babies didn't know they missed the real deal.



Here's to a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous (and ridiculously adorable) 2012!

6 comments:

jen@ living a full life said...

Johanna,
Noon years eve party! That is just the most clever thing I've ever heard in a long time!

And getting the party favors on sale, brilliant!

Dvr Dame said...

That has to be one of the most creative and original ideas! I love it! I'm thinking next year we'll have this tradition since this momma already made plans for new year's eve.

Samantha said...

Fantastic idea!

RoryBore said...

brilliant idea! I can rarely make it to midnight myself anymore. this would be great to do on New Years Day with the kids.
And since it's noon....adults can still toast with the real deal :)

Helene said...

Wow, what a great idea!!! My kids and their friends would LOVE this!!!!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What an awesome idea! Honestly, I can't remember the last time I stayed up for NYE...I sometimes make it to 11:00 and celebrate with the east coast. :) I think I could handle a noon celebration, though!

And yes, Melissa, Johanna is The Best at awesome celebrations for the kiddos...I always love seeing what fun she and her girls are having!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...