Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

ABC...easy as 1-2-3

I was so excited when I found this idea during my voyage into the black hole of creativity Pinterest browsing session last Sunday morning.

To make your own big magnet board, you will need:

  • a big metal oil drip pan (I bought mine for $9.96 at Wal-Mart)

  • a set of ABC flashcards ($1.47 at Wal-Mart)

  • magnetic letters (I splurged and bought the bigger letters from a teacher supply store since the babies have such small hands; however, you could use the small ones from Wal-Mart that are $2 a pack)

  • rubber cement for gluing cards to pan

  • velcro hangers (if you want to attach board to a wall)

I started by wiping the board with all-purpose cleaner.


Next, I placed cards on pan to get spacing right before gluing.


Here are the big(ger) magnetic letters I found at a local teacher supply store. I love that they came in a tub that is perfect for storing the letters when we're not using the board.


And, here's the finished product!



It isn't kid-tested yet since I decided to wait and make it a part of what they receive for Christmas. I am so excited to use it with them, though, especially since they are absorbing everything right now.

Have a toddler-friendly Pinterest find to share? An idea for a mommy-made gift? Leave a comment! Then, go check out the other great Mama Loves ideas:
Manic Mother



The whole time I was making the board, I was humming Jackson 5's "ABC"....

"ABC...easy as 1, 2, 3...or as simple as do-re-mi..."


But it's Christmas, so instead of going with the obvious song choice this week for Songs That Make Us Sing, I am choosing another more seasonally-appropriate Jackson 5 tune:



10 comments:

Mary F said...

Hi Melissa!

I totally had that Jackson's album (as well as a few others) back in the day! I think I might still have it somewhere...

Really cute magentic board project! I'm sure your kids are gonna love it. Ya know, I'm beginning to think that Pinterest is this evil plot to turn us all into pinning zombies so we won't notice when they take over the world! LOL ( I'm just a wee bit addicted to it myself...)

I'm following here and on Pinterest too! Have a great weekend!

~Mrs B

Kathy said...

I will say that I have not gone into pininterest yet, and I'm really working on not doing it because I'm already a hard core blogging addict! For now I will get my fix through you and some of the other blogs I follow!

I love this!! I may try this for my nephews!! Way too cute! I think it's a great Christmas gift for your sweeties!! I always have fun dropping my your great site!!

Lisa said...

That's beautiful! I will share with my niece. I have an invite to Pinterest but haven't signed up yet. Heard it's getting a lot of traffic!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

That board looks great! I'll bet your kiddos will have so much fun with it! :)

RoryBore said...

I love this idea! I saw a similar project using a cookie sheet that was spray painted, or covered with decorative paper and used for chore charts. The chore magnets were so cute! gotta love Pinterest!

Kristy said...

You are amazing! Love it!

Kristen said...

Ha! I love it. Here's a tip. At the end of the school year - call around to your local school districts. Most of them are ripping out chalk boards and putting in white boards. We have a full sized chalk board in our basement. I love the idea. I wish our kids were the exact same age - because I would so be making this! Follow me on Pinterest! littlesomethingforme

Brad Jenkins said...

What a great idea!

Julia said...

I thought I'd left you a message gushing about this...hmmm...apparently I'm losing my mind.

Anyway--love this! I saw this on Pinterest too. I wish I'd seen it before I purchased our dry erase board (which we use as a magnet board) it's way more expensive, and not nearly as big. This is awesome. I bet Emily and Drew will LOVE it!

Love reading about your Pinterest projects, Melissa!

Michelle said...

Very cute idea! I get sucked into Pinterest too. Man, I love that site! Thanks for sharing with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...