Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Muffins and Music

One of the babies’ first (and favorite) solid foods was butternut squash, so it was only fitting that my first batch of homemade muffins ever were made from this delicious fruit/vegetable.

We’ve been looking for a way to change up our breakfast staples of waffles and pancakes, and these muffins are a nutritious and tasty alternative.

After a very successful first batch, I am actually excited about trying some other varieties. Up next: blueberry!

I found this great recipe at Simple Daily Recipes.

Being a total novice in the kitchen, I followed the recipe as closely as possible, but I did make a few tweaks:

  • no baking soda (since the only box in the house was currently being used for odor control in the fridge)
  • peach-apple sauce instead of just apple (since that’s all we had)
  • 2 tablespoons of ground flax (to prove to Marty that, yes, I would eventually use the bag I bought several months ago)
  • A few more cranberries and raisins (I love the extra tartness the cranberries added)

Manic Mother




Brrrr! It’s cold outside this morning! Our neighborhood is having a community yard sale. My stuff is all outside, but I am sitting in the warmth of the dining room, eating muffins, drinking coffee, and watching out the front window for potential buyers. In honor of the cold, my song for the week is a remake of a winter classic by one of my favorite groups.

Please join me in wishing the geniuses behind Songs that Make Us Sing Saturday, Ginger and Becca, a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!







Interested in being a guest blogger for MaMe Musings? Click here for more details!

13 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

There's something so great about nice warm muffins in the morning...especially when they're homemade! I've made several batches of pumpkin muffins over the past few weeks...yum!

Hope your yard sale goes well (plenty well for you to get those boots!). :)

Anne said...

We love making muffins for breakfast here too! How fab to have a community yard sale! Enjoy the weekend:)
~Anne

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

Those muffins looks so yummy!! I may just have to try them...

What a terrific version of this song...LOVE IT! Thanks for always coming to the party...I enjoy seeing and hearing your song selections! :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

:)

Mrs B said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by! Congrats on your first homemade muffins!

I love Lady Antebellum. I didn't know they made a version of Baby It's Cold Outside. It's one of my favorite holiday songs!

Have a great weekend and good luck with your sale!

Mrs B

Johanna said...

Yum! We love muffins too - I always hesitate to try new ones (in case they suck), so I'm happy to have friends share their recipes. We'll try these too... and think of you. :)

I love that you added the flax to prove to your husband that you would use it!

RoryBore said...

LOVE, Love that song! I could listen to it pretty much everyday during the holidays...and sometimes in the summer just for fun! LOL

muffins looks very yummy! and yes, bring on the cranberries! I am enjoying some orange/cranberry scones right now!

Miss Megan said...

Ooh, fun new recipe to try! YAY! My girls love muffins and it hadn't occurred to me to try the non - standard items as flavors! I never would have thought to do butternut squash muffins! Brilliant!

Rebecca Burton said...

My family love muffins. I'm gonna have to try that recipe.

Thanks for linking up with us!

Kristy said...

You're right, muffins are a fun alternative!

Julia said...

Yum! Those muffins sound delicious, and I think we have all the ingredients on hand--hooray! :)

Thanks for sharing, Melissa!!

Kiddothings said...

The muffins look great! And it's even better with all those healthy stuff you put in them! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog Melissa. It's so cute how you got your blogname Mame. You have a lovely blog! :)

Jill McKeever said...

Melissa,

I love your site! And your babies are SO CUTE! Looking at them makes me miss my kids when they were that small.

insomnia said...

The song sounds good, but those muffins sound better!
Jill from VB

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...