Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Making a Mountain Out of a Mole….

Birthday List #17
Worry less.


Managing my worry is a daily struggle. One big “worry trigger” for me is concern over health. Yesterday I went for what I expected to be a routine skin check, an appointment I made in my quest to take control of my health and to manage my fears. I was surprised when the nurse found a mole she didn’t like. I felt the flush of panic as she said biopsy. I immediately started to mentally Google melanoma survival rates. Insane? Yes. But that is how anxiety-my anxiety—works. Calmly, I asked for her opinion of my mole. Small. Darker than the rest. Questionable. Better to take if off and be safe.

I only spent a little while yesterday researching worst case scenarios. This is a huge improvement. By last night, I was not hiding in the bed trying to sleep away the fear. Huge improvement.

Birthday list #9
Join a yoga class.


Instead of examining pictures of moles all night, I went to a new yoga class and
loved it. I can’t wait to go back on Thursday.

Birthday list #7
Teach the babies how to sign.


We took the classes, read the books, and downloaded the app, but, honestly, we were disappointed in how little the babies seemed to learn. Then, when they started daycare, we weren’t as consistent with the practice. Last night, quite randomly, we asked Drew if he wanted more. We did the sign. He used it the rest of the meal. He’s also signing all done and please. Emily—well, she still prefers to scream.

Birthday list #18
Appreciate more.


I have really enjoyed jumping on the “30 Days of Thanksgiving” bandwagon by posting one thing I am thankful for each day on Facebook. As hokey as it sounds, it has helped shift my perspective from one of deficit to one of surplus.

Birthday list #1
Be the best mommy I can be.


By working on #17 and making time for #9, I know I am creating the space I need to continue to grow as a mommy. I have also decided that I am going to make up for the time I am spending on some “mommy needs” by maximizing the time I do have with the babies. One concrete way I have decided to make time is to turn off the computer (and i-phone) while the babies are awake. Typically my computer is always on, calling me to check work email, Facebook, blog, google medical conditions. Yet, the babies are only home for a few hours every evening before it’s suppertime, bath time, and then bedtime.

So instead of giving this time to the internet, I will be giving it to my family. Hopefully, I will still be able to keep up with blog posting and commenting. If it takes me longer than usual, forgive me. I am involved in a more important creative endeavor: being a MaMe.


Yikes! Looking at this list reminds me of how much I have left to complete in the next 17 days...

10 comments:

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

HAHA! Hey, at least you tackled a few "items"! LOL!

;)

Miss Megan said...

Good for you for turning off the computer/i-phone while the babies are awake! I started doing that a couple of weeks ago and while it sucks for my blogging, it's better for my girlies =). You go momma!
And I too was disappointed in our sign language aptitude...it's taken FOREVER it seems for the girls to catch on, and they refuse to use anything consistently. They know more, all done, and milk really well but the only one that they really ever use is milk! HA! Maybe one day it will click and they will be signing fools...not holding my breath =)

blueviolet said...

Turning the computer off during those times makes such good sense. You're a smart cookie. Everything will be fine with your skin check. It's a precautionary measure, and it's very common for people to have skin melanomas removed without any further issues. You're gonna be a-ok, missy! And lol to Emily screaming vs. signing!

RoryBore said...

a very good list - especially that last one. I try to reserve my blogging to specific chunks during the day. normally, when I would have a coffee (no, I don't have 10 coffee's a day as a result - LOL). My kids know that means mommy is taking a break. I reserve my main blog reading/writing for when they are in bed.
Unless, daddy is home, and then it's mama's day off and all bets are off! LOL

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I admire your list, and it sounds like you're making some awesome strides!

As far as signing goes, our girls signed a few things beginning at about 9 months, but they really took off between 12 and 14 months. I'm glad I stuck with it...as we all enjoyed it so much (especially the animals). :)

The girls still sign occasionally, usually when they really want something. "Please" is one they use for emphasis, and I laughed out loud the other day when Hubby was teasing them about not sharing some kind of sweet he had, and - out of the blue! - they started signing "share" (in addition to their pleading). HA!

Kathy said...

It's so easy for me to get crazy and start the voices going, sometimes I just have to take one minute at a time. I love that you are turning off the computer when the babies are awake. I have to learn how to deal with the call of the computer and my real job and joy of being a mom!!! Thanks for a great post!!

Beth said...

Looks like you're working hard on that list!

Oh if only I could stop worrying so much. I know that it does nothing to help the situation, yet I have such a hard time turning it off. I will say a prayer for you. Let us know when you get the results that everything is okay. Good for you taking charge of your health! It is so easy to put ourselves on the back burner.

That also goes for the yoga class. I keep telling myself that I need to sign up for a class, but (again) put it on the back burner.
You deserve to be taken care of!

Kristen said...

I love the list. We used baby signing time - and my kids loved it! Good Luck Mama!

Cathy said...

You are MUCH more smarter than I was when my son was 17 months old.

PeerMurphy said...

The mole were now easy to remove with the help of the mole removal treatment. The mole removal creams are also now available which help in removing out the mole.

mole removal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...