Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

My Little Brother's Big Day

Meet my brother. This is him on his wedding day, August 4, 2011. Isn’t he handsome? Doesn’t he look so serious here?


To me, this is my Jay. My little brother. He’s seven years younger than me. Isn’t he cute? Don't you just want to squeeze his sweet cheeks?


This is my brother on his wedding day with my daddy. Doesn’t my dad look completely miserable and my brother strangely surprised by the camera? I blame it on nerves. The wait before walking down the aisle can break the strongest of men.


While the men are busy trying to calm their nerves in the Red Room, the women take advantage of photo opportunities afforded by a beautiful location, new dresses, and lots of make-up and hair spray.




Here is the other sister-of-the-groom, Kelly. Isn't she pretty? Don’t we both look so excited, so proud of our little brother on his big day? We really were.


Did I mention it was hot? It was. Even at 5:00 pm, the temperature hovered around 100 degrees. Thank goodness for the cold water and lemonade provided before and during the ceremony.


Despite the heat, we all agreed the wedding location was breathtaking--a beautiful summer garden and a peaceful fountain. The trickle of the water and the buzz of bees provided the perfect melody.


The sand waits with the guests for the joining of two families.


Here comes the mother of the groom…


The groom is ready…


All smiles…


Here comes Kaelyn…


And HERE COMES THE BRIDE!


I think this is the part where I started crying. Was it because of the beauty of the moment? The memory of my brother as a baby? The passing of time? The pride in seeing him as the man I always knew he could be? The joy of seeing him happy? The shared emotion in hearing him get choked up? The remembrance of my own vows? All of the above.


I laughed through the tears as I watched Kaelyn enjoy pouring the sand, symbolizing the blending of three individuals, two families, and the creation of one, new family--more beautiful together than separate.




“You may kiss the bride.” Cue the applause!


What is it about weddings that make even the not-so-newlyweds feel all lovey-dovey again?


I think we took more pictures together at the wedding than we did all of last year. Isn’t my hubby handsome?


I love how children can always find a way to make any occasion more fun. Here Kaelyn turns the hors d'œuvre plates into stacking plates, counting them before knocking them over and starting again. She was cute, and she so made me glad we decided to get a sitter for the babies for the wedding.




The new Mr. and Mrs.


It is so weird seeing my brother in a wedding ring. Did I mention that this is how I like to remember him?



The meal was perfection on a plate. Beef tenderloin. Lobster. No babies in high chairs who needed their food cut up before they tossed it on the floor. No sippy cups to fill—only Riesling tonight for this mommy. Did I mention that I was glad we had a sitter for the babies?


Don’t know if my Daddy had any Riesling, but doesn’t he look so much more relaxed now?


My parents—don’t they look beautiful? 36 years of marriage and counting… I loved my daddy’s advice to the new couple during the toast: “Remember your vows, and you’ll have a long and happy marriage.”


Who doesn’t love a beautiful wedding cake?


And sparkling cider for toasting…


Her future’s so bright she’s gotta wear shades!


KK loves her Daddy.


And Daddy loves KK.


I am sucker for first dance songs. I cry every time. Jay and Marisa danced their first dance as a married couple to Tim McGraw’s “My Best Friend.” I was too teary-eyed (and busy staring lovingly at my own best friend) to take a picture. I did capture the mother-son dance, and again, the song choice was perfect: “My Wish.” As a mother myself, I can imagine seeing Drew with his new bride and making the same wish for him:

I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
And each road leads you where you want to go,
And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take.




KK reminded me I have a few other things to look forward to before seeing my babies walk down the aisle…


I finally pinned down the bride and groom long enough to get a picture with them before the big send-off. It’s my little brother and my new sister!


Congratulations! I love you.




If you made it this far, you clearly have a case of WEDDING FEVER! Don't worry! I have the cure! Tune back in later today for a BIG announcement!

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Big announcement, huh? On pins and needles...

Johanna said...

Oh, and the wedding was beautiful (and so are you!)

Andrea said...

What a beautiful wedding! Your looked gorgeous!! Your brother and his wife looked great too!! Thanks so much for sharing this special family occasion!! Loved reading about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...