Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What I Love About Me

Linking up with Holly Ann from Twin Plus One, Three Times the Fun, and Allison from Twingle Mommy for another weekly installment of "What I Love About Me."

Photobucket




In many ways, I epitomize tradition, familiarity, and security. I like order. I like routine. I like rules. I like neatness. I like knowing the plan ahead of time--most of the time.

But sometimes, I love adventure, and that wild streak is what I love about me this week.

We celebrated the 4th of July on the lake Sunday.

It was a day full of all the perfect 4th of July trimmings: lounging in our chairs, swimming in the lake, riding the boat with the wind in our faces, eating hotdogs hot off the grill, savoring fresh fruit straight from the cooler, attacking each other with water guns.

The more adventurous among us also enjoyed a little fun on the open water: being pulled on the inner tube by a speeding boat driven by daddy.

As I put on my life jacket and climbed onto the tube with my sister, I realized I hadn’t been on one of these things in at least 15 years—maybe longer?

Determined to give us a ride to remember, my dad, with my brother urging him on, hit the gas and brought the tube and us out of the water.

I squealed and giggled as we zipped along, occasionally sticking my foot down in the water, sending a stream of water shooting onto our faces.

I protested to the wind as Kelly yelled for him to go faster, giving him the sign to spin us around.

I gripped the handles as we crossed the wake and swung wildly to the side.

I gripped them harder as we turned again, coming back in behind the boat.

Do it again! Do it again!

So we did.

Who knows where I will find the next thrill. All I know is I need adventure to balance the all-too-settled part of me.

Last week it was roller coasters.

I’ve been jet skiing, parasailing, white water rafting, zip-lining, sailing, snow skiing, and would probably go parachuting.

I love to travel to new places, even if it’s just turning off the GPS and riding down unfamiliar back roads, trusting my own sense of direction.

I love to try new foods--frog legs, escargot, the mystery martini, or the chef’s choice sushi plate.

I have a constant itch for a road trip, a burning desire to make a spur of the moment purchase of a plane ticket to a place I’ve never been. A dream of retiring on an island and running my own charter fishing boat...

Sounds like a good plan to me.


If you haven't joined my giveaway, please click here. Don't forget to check out all the great giveaways from the Halfway There Give-away Event!

5 comments:

Holly Ann said...

I'm so jealous! That sounds like such an amazing time!! I've never done that before. :)

Tasha said...

I am a little jealous too! You know my craziness for water, but have never done that either. I like to be in total control. That goes along with I wish I could be more spontaneous....but i just can't. I love hearing that you are!! Sounds like a great 4th!

Just Another Mom of Twins said...

How fabulously fun and adventerous!!! Sounds like you are the type of person I want to be when it comes to letting go of the "rules and order" of life...the Mystery Martini...really? Maybe I could start there...seeems harmless enough...LOL!

You'd love this one restaurant that we have here...you go in and order the Chef's meal and out comes a 4 course, totally surprising meal...heym maybe I'm not that UN-Adventerous afterall...LOL!

Andrea said...

What awesome FUN!!!! So glad you had a great time!! It probably has been that long for me too!! I loved going tubing! :)

Johanna said...

I did that this weekend too. And, I'm sore to prove how old I'm getting. Glad you had some fun adventures. I'll have to keep stalking your blog well into retirement so that I can come visit your island. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...