Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Way Back When-esday: Crying in Stereo

Thank you to Cheryl at Twinfatuation for hosting such a fun link-up and letting me play along.



Today we take it back to those first weeks.

Date: Summer 2010
Babies' Age: Somewhere between 1-6 weeks

I regret to say that I don't know exactly how old Emily and Drew are in this picture. I found it this morning filed in a folder titled, "Weeks 1-6." (Man, I really need a better picture filing system.)

I don't blame myself too much, though, because those early days were hard. Beautiful, priceless, missed, but hard.

I was home for 12 weeks on maternity leave. Marty went back to work as soon as we were home from the hospital. His mom came a couple of days each week to help out. Julie came once a week so I could get of the house or nap. Most of the time, though, it was just me and the babies.

I was just trying to make it through the day. Everything was new. I was learning how to be a mommy to not one baby but two. I was recovering from an incredibly hard c-section and riding a roller coaster of post-pregnancy hormone highs and lows.

There were definitely days when I felt as frustrated as the babies look in this picture. If there was a secret camera in my bedroom, it could have probably captured a similar picture of me around this same time.

I remember going to a Moms of Multiples' Club meeting when I was pregnant. One of the mothers warned all of us expectant moms of "crying in stereo." You know, when two babies are going at the same time and you are surrounded by so much noise you are sure it could be used as a torture device.

This is one of our "crying in stereo" moments.

If there was audio for this picture, I promise you would be cringing. Emily did/does have the loudest cry--ever. Add Drew's wailing, and the windows literally shake.

Since I don't have a clear recollection of this particular incident, I am going to speculate and say that I stopped amid the madness, realized how funny they both looked, grabbed a camera, documented the moment, and then approached the problem in one of the following ways:

A. Picked the Low-Hanging Fruit First
When presented with two screaming babies, sometimes the best option is to choose the baby you know you can quiet the fastest. Bottle? Easy fix. Swing? Easy fix. Diaper change? Easy/hard fix, depending. One quiet baby gives you more patience to deal with the harder case.

B. Oiled the Squeakiest Wheel
Other times, when they were both going, I would choose the loudest first because sometimes, it is a matter of sanity not fairness.

C. Played Fair
When I was feeling mommy guilt, I would try to alternate. Drew then Emily. Emily then Drew. Oh, crap. I forgot who went first last.

D. Grabbed the Closest Baby
This plan of attack is all about proximity. You just grab whichever baby is closest and do your thing--fast.

Regardless of the method, I can say that, ultimately, we survived, and next month we will be celebrating one year. I think we all deserve a really big cake.

PS: This picture also illustrates why it really doesn't matter if you buy pink for girls and blue for boys. When the poo hits the fan, you grab the nearest blanket, boppie, and baby--regardless of color or pattern--and go with it.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Love this pic! PRICELESS! I bet it brought a flood of memories back....good and bad! I so agree with the blue / pink we mixed the col

Andrea said...

Oops...we mixed the colors up all the time! Thanks for sharing!

Shell said...

Oh wow! I think I'd go for the closest one method.

Beth said...

love the picture! it takes you right back doesn't it? Good job stopping for a second and capturing that moment. Unfortunately, my Izzie may give your Emily a run for money. We actually named her cry "the Isa-bellow." She was a preemie, but we knew her lungs were good.

So true about the colors. We have tons of pictures of Drew in a pink Boppy or blanket and the same for the girls. Any port in the storm.

Love the way-back wednesdays!

Samantha said...

Omigoodness, this brings back so many memories! It also reminds all of us parents of multiples that we CAN get through it, despite what everyone says. It may be challenging at the time, but aren't they precious? And so worth it! Great advice as well :)

Jenner said...

What a great post!! I was going to ask if you were weeping to, until I read on. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...