Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

They’ll Always be My Babies

I am one of those people who hates how retailers rush the holidays. Halloween is barely over and Christmas stuff is out. Just when all the wrapping paper and ornaments are marked down, the Valentine’s displays are reminding us to remember our sweetheart with chocolate and balloons attached to stuffed animals. As punishment for consuming too much Valentine’s Day chocolate, they put out swimsuits the next week. Just recently at Kohl’s I saw 4th of July shirts—in April.

You get the idea.

So you can imagine how I felt a few weeks ago when I started getting those update emails from all of the baby sites I frequent congratulating me on making it to the toddler stage.

Um, hello, formula manufacturer advertiser and baby expert columnist, as of today, I still have three weeks and 2 days until my babies are “officially” toddlers. Technically, they are still babies—infants, if you want to be specific, since they aren’t walking.

But, there’s no need to argue semantics.

Go ahead and call them toddlers if you like.

It doesn’t matter. Just like I ignore the early marketing of holidays, I will ignore you, too.

Most people I know have an affectionate term for their little one or little ones. Some parents of twins refer to them collectively as “the twins,” while others have more creative names for their duo.

From the beginning, my babies have been "my babies.” Emphasis on the my.

My babies.

Regardless of what any mass email says, this term is not age-specific.

They will be my babies when the emails start mentioning preschool.

They will be my babies when others call them “big kids.”

They will be my babies when magazines want to target them as “tweens.”

I could go on, but you get the idea.

They will always be my babies.

9 comments:

Tasha said...

Same here with "the boys" my twins. They are six and I still like to have my babies sit in my lap. BTW we call them #1 and #2.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What an awesome post...and I AGREE! :) :) Our girls are 28 months old, and I still refer to them as "the babies"...not just "my" babies, but "the" babies. HA! They'll always be "my" babies, of course. And I think I can legitimately call them "babies" in any context until they're *much* more mature...maybe learning to drive???

Andrea said...

Agreed! They will be our babies for life!

Holly Ann said...

Yes they will! :)

Beth said...

So true! My older son is five years old and has four younger siblings, but he's still my baby. The quads have no chance... They will always be my babies!

Martine said...

AGREE!!! My baby boy will always be my baby boy, even when he's 30!!!

Jenner said...

First of all, that is the most gorgeous photo ever. And secondly, I totally agree with you! The peapod will always be my baby.

Mary said...

My girls (5,5,3) are still my babies! Sometimes they do not want to be called that (how insulted they are!) and then sometimes when they are sad, they'll curl up in my arms and tell me they are my baby.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is so true. JDaniel doesn't understand how he can be a "big boy" at three and still my baby. He just can be that is the way it is.

Thank your for your wonderful comment on Shell's post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...