Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

ME! Challenge: Breathe in, Breathe out



Linking up again with Dolli-Mama at Life Not Finished to share how I have carved out some ME time this week and used it to recharge.

Earlier in the week, I wrote about the emergency trip from the park to Walgreen's for baby food after I left the diaper bag at home. While in line, a magazine caught my eye. Maybe it was the title: Real Simple. Maybe it was the bright yellow flower on the front cover. Or it could have been the headline calling to me: "Energize Your Life." Regardless of what promo technique worked its magic, I succumbed and actually bought a hardcopy of a magazine. As someone who reads almost everything online, buying a magazine in a store was a rare treat.

I still haven't read the whole thing. I read a little after feeding the babies at the park while we waited for Marty to finish playing ball. I picked up this great idea called a Mom Book. The writer suggests creating a homemade book in which your children write or draw something for you on holidays as a gift as opposed to buying you something. She explains, "In every volume, my kids have drawn pictures, written poems, pasted photos, and penned letters. Sometimes their lives and hearts are so full they consume two or three pages. Each entry is dated and signed, even if just with the mark of a thumb in tempera paint."

I love this idea and hope to start a book this Mother's Day.

This morning I was able to read for a couple of minutes, and I picked up a piece of interesting piece of "mom" trivia.

What is the most number of children born to one mother?

Are you ready?

Sit down.

69

And Moms of Multiples, get ready for this factoid.

This Russian mom, between 1725-1765, had 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets, and four sets of quads.

There are times when there really are no words.

I checked the issue to make sure this wasn't the April Fool's Day edition. Nope.

In addition to using my ME time to learn new things through my very own copy of a magazine, I also did something that comes naturally for most of us. I breathed. More specifically, I practiced controlled breathing. My goal for this week is to spend at least 5 minutes a day practicing conscious breathing. It's amazing how I take breathing for granted and how something so basic and simple can make me feel so much better.

Now, I have an hour or so before it's bedtime and then Easter. I think I am going to use my last free hour today to take a bath, breathe, and read some more of my magazine.

I hope you all have a blessed Easter Sunday!

4 comments:

Jenner said...

The Mom Book is a great idea!!! I made the peapod a Easter gift tonight and always help her make Daddy something for other occassions.

Andrea said...

That Mom book sound awesome! What a perfect way to keep memories all in one place! Love that idea!

I pick myself up one of those magazines every now and then too! Always read every page from front to back.

That is just plain crazy.... 69 kids! First thing that popped in my mind was she must have had litters! Then you confirmed that was indeed the case!

Hope you Easter is great!

penguinsandladybugs said...

Sounds like some good "me time" activities! I love how the magazine is really stretching out! And the controlled breathing is great...just 5 minutes doesn't sound like much but is more than lots of us have....

Julia said...

Ahhhh...breathing. It's amazing how good it feels to just breathe, isn't it?!

Love Real Simple. It's one of the few magazines I will buy too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...