Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Random Slices of Tuesday



I knew it was going to be a good Tuesday when I heard Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" on the way to work this morning. Who doesn't love this line?

We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got


or this one...

Take my hand and we'll make it, I swear (oh, oh)
Livin' on a prayer


I took hearing this song as a good omen even though I was headed to an ALL DAY meeting for work that I always *DREAD.*

Unfortunately, the parking gods downtown had no idea that I was destined to have a good day because when I arrived (already running slightly late, of course), the parking pay lot was full. After several trips around the block, I resigned myself to the fact I was going to have to hike **several** blocks.

It was a beautiful morning, not too hot yet. A nice breeze was blowing. I still had a little coffee left. I was already going to be late. Why not soak in the beauty and the moment and enjoy the walk rather than grumble about the distance?

I hummed to myself. Listened to the birds. Enjoyed the flowers. Waved to strangers who passed.

I stayed present in the moment for all of about 3 minutes.

Then, it happened.

For some reason, I decided I must hurry. I crossed against the light, almost got run over by a truck, and scuffed my heels on the pavement as I twisted my ankle. And, I was slightly perspiring.

And that's how easy it is to not live in the present.

How did I apply this random piece of deep wisdom about living deliberately and appreciating the beauty in the ordinary?

I'd like to say I did something profound, but I am not sure jay-walking across the next street I had to cross counts.




Babies trump Bon Jovi when it comes to making me smile, and I was thrilled to get these cute pics via text from Julie today while I was in my meeting. While Mommy was bringing home the bacon, Drew was chowing down on squash and zucchini.



I love this picture of Emily--so happy! Look at those teeth and all that hair. She's getting so big!




1 comment:

Mary said...

I love the days when I have a good song playing in my mind. Glad you had a good day despite the ankle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...