Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Little Things That Make Me Stupid Excited



I knew Twinsomnia was a blog after my own heart when I saw the tagline--“Musings of a Mom Who Should Be Sleeping.” Truer words have never been spoken.

All of my blogs are written after the babies go down in the evening or in the morning, with a cup of coffee in hand, before they are up. Either way, I should be sleeping.

Yet, I skip sleep to blog, partly because it’s cheap therapy and partly because I want to create a lasting record of these days, especially since I am not doing so well keeping up the baby books. So many moms of multiples tell me they don’t even remember the first year. Others tell me to savor every minute because it goes too fast. Most days, I feel so torn. Survive it. Enjoy it. Some days these two pieces of advice seem to be competing. Blogging brings me to a place where I can reflect, record, and remember-- especially the little things.

When I saw the “Little Things That Make Me Stupid Excited” post on Twinsomnia, I knew I had to link up and make my own list. It’s like the saying goes, “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

Here’s my list for March. Much to your surprise, you will find not all of them are baby- related. For the purposes of this post, we’ll pretend I have a life outside of being a MaMe ☺




1. Clean windows

It’s a sad state of affairs when you have to sell your house to get clean windows. This week we had the house pressure-washed and the windows cleaned—inside and out—in preparation for the house going on the market. I can’t believe what a difference it makes. I have all the blinds open, reveling in the shine. Seriously, it’s crazy what a difference it makes.

2. Pedicures
Woman's Feet Holding Pink Rose Fresh Pedicure
(photo by D Sharon Pruitt)

Tomorrow. Me. Massage chair and 45 minutes of foot bliss. Oh, nice lady at the nail salon, it’s been too long.

3. (trenta)Starbucks Raspberry Lemonade

After learning I had a sinus infection and fluid in both ears this week, I treated myself to not a “venti” but a “trenta” size Raspberry lemonade. Even unsweetened, it was just what the doctor ordered. Well, that and a z-pack.

4. BJ's Wholesale Club

As a single female and then even as a married couple, I always found my BJ’s membership went relatively unused. This week we joined again, and believe me, we have plenty of things to buy in bulk now: diapers, wipes, formula…And, the part that makes me even more stupid excited? Coupons! You can use BJ’s coupons AND the manufacturer’s coupon. Take that, Enfamil.

5. Chick Fil A's new ketchup packet

This one is so big it was Facebook status message for today—the whole day! No more skipping ketchup because it’s too hard to tear open the pack and find somewhere to squirt it while I drive. Squeeze or dip?? Oh, the choices! Best. Invention. Ever.

6. Boon BPA Free Plum Baby Spoons

We are looking forward to getting out this weekend, and this item will definitely be in the diaper bag. These spoons screw on the end of pouches of Plum baby food. No worries about broken jars. Emily and Drew love the fruit/veggie combinations, and clean up is easy-peasy. Stupid excited about this find.

7. Nook

Book downloaded, check. Nook charged, check. Book on Nook is packed and ready for the trip to the salon for the aforementioned, much-needed pedicure.

8. i-phone

Sure, cell phones and driving don’t mix, but sleeping and driving don’t either. Thank you, i-phone friend, for keeping me awake during those long work trips this week.

9. Sleep

Tuesday was the first night in at least a month that both babies slept through the night. Oh, sleep, how I missed you. You make stupid excited.

10. Baby smiles

I was carrying Drew tonight in the Mexican restaurant. Now that they can sit in high chairs, we don’t have to carry the infant car seats in everywhere, which is another little thing I love! I am bouncing him around while we wait to pay, and he’s laughing and smiling. A man with a little boy walks in and says, “There’s nothing better than a child’s smile, is there?” I paused, looked at Drew, smiled, and said, “Nope. It’s the best thing in the world.” Makes me stupid excited every time.

11. Blog comments

Getting a blog comment is like going to the mailbox and getting a genuine, hand-written letter written just for you. I love to hear that people read the blog, connect with something, and enjoy our musings. Simply put, comments make me stupid excited.

5 comments:

Holly Ann said...

Oh, you lucky duck - you and your Chick-Fil-A!! That's the only thing I miss about living in the south. Seriously, how do we not have one of these restaurants in the giant city I live in??

Great list! Loved it!!

Holly Ann said...

Hey again - just wanted to let you know I linked your blog up on Multiples and More Saturday Spotlights! :)

Johanna said...

Found you on Multiples and More... Your babies are super cute (and such a fun age!)

Jenner said...

I'm a new follower... I have to steal the stupid excited meme, too! I agree about baby's smiles. Isn't it amazing how they can effect complete strangers?

Megan said...

OMG, that ketchup packet is GENIUS!!!! I wish we had Chick-Fil-A here- I hear such good things about it. And raspberry lemonade, pedicures, love for blog comments...we are going to get along GREAT!! Thanks for joining in this month! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...